Uno wrx plan...

So, i’ve been doing some brain storming, just about my car.

Should I,

Keep it stock, pay it off and drive it into the ground, as in drive it untill atleast 2012

• Modify it slightly, IE: 18x8 rotas, a few exterior mods and maybe stg 2 tuning
  • Strip it out, have a cage built, fully tuned Coilover suspension, aftrmrkt drivetrain assemb., wide light wheels (17x8.5 atleast), larger turbo ( IHI vf48) for around 300whp and just have a sweet (awd) track car and still daily it. (i don’t give a shit if I drive around a loud,rough pile)
  • sell car, buy a nice CHEAP DD, ie mk4 jetta and a e36 m3 and turn that into a track car ie: strip out,cage,ect…

And, keep my job,and future career out of this, i don’t care if I still live at home, I have income plans that thoroughly suit my needs so lets leave that out of the equation

wheres the option for pay enough off to walk away clean from the wrx and buy an sti?

there is none, because the STI insurance was over $1k a year more.
Dunno why, but i’m not going to argue with my insurance company as I already have a decent rate.

lol oh.

are you looking for pros n cons of each? i dont think anyone can make this decision for you. those are 4 completely different options…

in my experience, its been better to mod a car that you dont owe a bunch of money on. if somthing goes wrong, ie: you blow up a motor, oh well. if somthing goes wrong with a car that youre far in debt on, youre not in the best situation unless you can take the loss and pay off the difference on the spot.

its up to you if you want a fun project car, mildly moded newer car, or a stock dd to just keep up on maintenance with. i would just stay away from heavily modding what you have.

I’ll never understand these threads.

DO WHAT YOU WANT.

:word: First figure out what YOU want out of this or any car. Set goals, make plans to achieve those goals.

I’d probably have trouble not modding a car a little bit…

Are you even happy with the WRX? If not, trade it in on a nice easy to maintain DD and pick up a M3 to beat to the ground. I.e., track car, project car, whatever.

Or just something cheaper that you don’t care about when/if it explodes.

It’s really all about driving something you enjoy. Find that and ultimatley do what you want to it…

wait so you talk about being financially sound, but 1k a year is make or break for an Sti?

as much as i want to agree with you and make fun of him i can’t…

1K a year is 1K a year, for insurance it’s likely just wasted money too. with monthly payments thats an extra 100 a month, on top of the 10K price jump on an sti you’re looking at another 250. 350/mo is a decent chunk of change per month regardless.

Do whatever you want.

350 a month is more than my payment/insurance currently. It is a lot of money to shell out.

personally. I would sell it, get a dd, and buy an e36 325/28. I am not bmw expert, but I would think that with some decent upgrades, you could be just as fast as an m3 for less money. I am no expert though.

I vote 3…

Destroy a car you’re still making payments on and ruin any resale value…

+karma

I hear ya there, but if $100/mo is the make or break point…then you are doing it wrong

everybody’s got their limits - i went through the same debate and considered getting a wrx because the sti ended up being like 50 more a month than i wanted to spend… not necc. because i couldn’t afford it, just didn’t want to spend that much cashish on a car :slight_smile:

That’s fine, if you aren’t planning on modding the thing, running it stock, etc.

At that point DD Sti, no mods>wrx modded to stage II tuning specs and whatever else

Smart idea.

Smart as well, safe mods that do little to lower value of the car.

Not an STI, yet it will probably cost more than one once done as still not perform as well.

:io:

Honestly, you need to figure out what you want from this car that is all over the board.

1. Park it in your backyard and turn it into yer shootin’ car. Continue to make payments until there’s no square foot of body panel without a bullet hole in it.

my .02

if you “heavily” mod your car, make sure you can afford to push it off a cliff…

if you want to mod your car “lightly” make sure you will still be happy with it.

if you want a happy medium, then still make sure you can afford to push it off a cliff.