upgrading old Laptop processor?

I have an old Dell Insperon 7000 laptop in my possession and it works great. The downside is that it has a crappy 300mhz processor in it (PII).

Any chance that I can upgrade to something like a 5-600 mhz processor? I’;d really only use this for video and music playback however I don’t think that this will do the job. Everything else on the machine is key though… everything I need. it even has a decent amount of memory.

or if that is too much hastle, any reccomendations on an OS to install that uses up as little resources as possible, while still supporting the hardware like a wireless card? I have a feeling that even ubuntu would kill this thing lol (it is running XP at the moment though)

Buy a Acer laptop for $499…

no, those processors are usually soldered onto the motherboards. Cant upgrade.

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:2,topic:30346"”]

Buy a Acer laptop for $499…

[/quote]

that is actually a better alternative then trying to upgrade a PIII laptop.

don’t have 500 to spend, and this was given to me :smiley:

really wont do anything hardcore with it other than movies and music (and internet)

that blows though :\

I’m affraid to run windows 98 on it… I still cry myself to sleep at night with memories of driver problems and the BSOD

[quote=“Dr.Stevil,post:5,topic:30346"”]

don’t have 500 to spend, and this was given to me :smiley:

really wont do anything hardcore with it other than movies and music (and internet)

that blows though :\

I’m affraid to run windows 98 on it… I still cry myself to sleep at night with memories of driver problems and the BSOD

[/quote]

Videos will be choppy even if you did upgrade it for anything you download pretty much these days unless it’s low res.

That said a majority of processors in that era were soldered to the board. eBay, and used laptop are your best bet.

Used P4 laptops are getting really cheap now (cheap like 2-300 bucks) look around, and thats your best bet.