using ac and getting terrible gas mileage.

Is there anything I can do to lessen the decrease in gas mileage when I’m using my AC? I thought it would decrease it a little bit, but it’s seriously killing my wallet.

no, not really.

You cant lessen the load that the compressor is, while having the compressor do its job

if you’re on the highway you’ll get better MPG using A/C vs. windows down in theory. No A/C and windows all close should win.

regardless, the bigger gas killer is your full time awd.

what difference are you noticing? should be like 2-3mpg at worst, right?

http://mythbusters-wiki.discovery.com/page/Keeping+the+Car+Cool?t=anon

vs.

2wd55

It’s more like a loss of 6-7. I usually get like 28mpg, and I’m getting around 21. It just seemed today like I went through ALOT of gas.

Are you making this statement based on gas mileage today only? Did you drive in any different conditions today? More/slower traffic? Lots of stop and go? Did you drive a little more spirited than normal? All factors that could affect your gas milage today only.

Well today was the day I used the AC. And I drive the same route every day. Nothing changed.

Put your windows down and wear less clothes.

Nothign you can do except use it less dude.

Aw boo. That’s not what I wanted to hear! Hahah.

well theres always hitchhiking

Hopefully a rich person picks me up so I can sit in their nicely cooled vehicle.

I’ll pick you up 4 noodz.

But seriously, if you can bear it, windows down around town and A/C on the highway. And just tough out the extra cost for comfort. :shrug:

should be the other way around, windows down on the highway where the wind cools you, and ac on when your driving stop n go 30mph in buffalo.

then your using your a/c when it makes the biggest impact on milage, and have your windows open when it makes the biggest impact in milage

say a/c uses 20hp (constant no matter how fact your moving)

and say that the aerodynamic drag from having the windows down is equal to:

10hp loss @ 30
20hp loss @ 45
30hp loss @ 60

obviously it would be more efficient to have the windows open below 45, and the a/c on above 45

Turn off the compressor (fan can run) when you are accelerating.

Set the controls on recirculate instead of fresh air. That will cool colder longer.

If you set the controls to fresh air vent and turn the fan up when on the throughway doing 60+ you will get a pretty cool breeze with no AC

!ac - FTW

keep your shit tuned up, tire pressures on point as well

helps out :slight_smile:

recirc will def help as well

close your windows and open your moonroof (just tilt)?