Verizon Motorola Q9M

When using this without a data plan, can you send and receive picture messages without being charged data usage?

yep

Not trying to be difficult, but are ya positive? Just because everything I’ve been finding on the internet points towards being charged for data.

no worries, its not like i send a shit ton of pictures but when i had it i never had any problems

that is a real good question. I’m a bit fuzzy on the specifics because i havnt done retail in awhile, but there was a point where VZW changed their policy on data charges for anyone making changes to their plan after a certain date. I cant remember the specifics on “smartphones without data packages” on MMS.

There is a specific feature code that was automatically added after that certain date. If you have the old feature code, and can get away with just doing a ESN swap online, the feature shouldnt change (unless something has changed since I was there).

perhaps hypeville or originalsin can chime in…

that is a real good question. I’m a bit fuzzy on the specifics because i havnt done retail in awhile, but there was a point where VZW changed their policy on data charges for anyone making changes to their plan after a certain date. I cant remember the specifics on “smartphones without data packages” on MMS.

There is a specific feature code that was automatically added after that certain date. If you have the old feature code, and can get away with just doing a ESN swap online, the feature shouldnt change (unless something has changed since I was there).

perhaps hypeville or originalsin can chime in…

edit: i guess it would also depend on what you have currently.

best bet is to call CS, let them know you found a Q9m you want to buy, you won’t be adding data, will you be charged MMS? Call a few times and speak to a couple different people.

exactly mms is probably what it would go under but it all depends

It is under MMS, since it’s not SMS. But, about 95% of what I’ve seen while doing research is that Verizon charges for MMS messages as data on smart phones, even on this one. I’ll have to give them a call, I guess. I don’t send an insane amount of picture messages, but I can’t really quantify it per month, so it’d be hard for me to buy a phone when I already have unlimited messaging, if I’m going to be charged for data usage.

understandable, im pretty much that way you can send 10 pics for less than a dollar