video card advice, 256bit vs 128bit memory interface

well, I just put my order together and as of now, only have a budget of 200.00 and some change for a video card. :picard:

Since my current setup is an AGP system, I cannot use my old 7800GS in the new PCI-e rig.

What card would you recommend? I’ll probably order an 8800gt after the holidays, but would still like to be able to do some gaming in the mean time.

While looking around, I saw an OC’d version of the 8600GT and the specs are nice as far as core and memory speeds, but the memory buss is only 128bit (DDR3) which will probably be a pretty big bottleneck I’d assume. On the plus side, it’s DX10 compatible but I’m sure it wont be very useful with 99% of DX10 games.

I’m not sure if I’m better off going with a card that has more speed (and DX10) with a 128bit interface or going with a “slower” card (DX9, since alot have the 256bit interface) with the 256bit buss.

any input?

BTW the system thus far is

Rosewill 750w PSU (I “Might” be able to use my existing PSU, so this may be something I can live without and save 80.00)

4GB G.Skill DDR2 800
DFI P35 Mobo (supposed to be a decent overclocker and great price)
Q6600 G0 stepping OEM processor
500GB sata hdd (already have it)
CoolMaster Case (already have it)
22" viewsonic 16:10 monitor (already have it)

Regardless of your two options, for sub $200, you wont be playing Ultra graphics, so it’s not going to matter much.

I’d go with the 8-series card. I was just browsing newegg, and saw an 8600GT for around $120. If you can get an 8800GT for the $200 mark, I’d do that.

I dont have any basis, other than my personal preference.

ummm 8800 GT is ultra graphics and is only 240 or so depending on where u look. On par if not better than the 8800GTX and anything ATI has to offer.

We set out to find out if the GeForce 8800 GT offered a better gameplay experience compared to the GeForce 8800 GTS. After playing through the Crysis and UT3 demos the answer is quite clear, the GeForce 8800 GT most certainly is a better performer than the 640 MB GeForce 8800 GTS. In fact, it nearly matched the GeForce 8800 GTX performance at times.

Get it steve, save up that extra 30 bucks and you wont be sorry.

And there is your answer by someone who put a couple extra minutes into looking :slight_smile:

With the system you have, I’d go the 8800GT if it is $230. You’d be missing a key component on that nice system, without the correct video card!

yeah ive been looking into that card so ive been following it closely.

do you have a newegg link to that card? I can’t find it (I assumed they sold out of them or something)

the other 8800’s were starting @ 350+ so they were out of my range. I thought the 8800gt’s were more close to the 300 range too, but I’m probably wrong

edit: nevermind, had to manually search… didn’t show up on neweggs sidebar search.

thanks for the heads up :tup:

Do you suppose my current 450w PSU will be ok for this setup? Or would I be better off with the rosewill 750?

There was an 8800GT floating around for $208 on dell.com over the weekend. It’s not worth it at all to get an 8600GT, its a bad investment period.

HD3850 is a nice choice just under 200 right now, but I’m sure the 3870’s will be around $200 in a month…

Also whats the model number of your psu? Rosewill make terrible psus… except for maybe one or two in the 750w range. If you get me that info I will let you know if it will have ripple problems. You don’t want a psu to be the downfall of a great system - frying your mobo, vid card, ram, etc. etc.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5449449?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
or
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Games/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=29&sku=A1350995

oh, and all the GT’s on newegg are sold out :frowning:

anyone else know a place that stocks them? (and uses paypal?)

looks like a nice system (and very similar to the one I just built) your looking at the right cards, either a 8800gt or a 3870, theres some pros and cons to both cards though, but both are fantastic cards for the money… if you can find them. I was lucky enough to get my 3870 off newegg the day they launched for 219$ :slight_smile:

for power supplys look at the OCZ ones, they make some good power supplies with 4 12v rails, for a good price

If you get the one from dell that I posted in my previous reply, you can get $50 back using paypal due to the 20% cashback that paypal is giving.

btw, thats a great psu it will be fine.

sorry about that, didn’t see it.

no shit, paypal is giving 20% back?

tits… good time to buy I suppose. Should save myself a few hundred bucks

thanks again for the link, got the card for about 230 and some change :tup:

but wouldn’t you know it… stupid effing paypal isn’t working with newegg for some unknown reason.

I’m pretty bent about that right now, especially since their doing the 20% cash back. Apparently this has been a problem for a while now?

paypal has been gay with newegg lately for me too. should work fine with dell though?

yeah, when I get home today I’m going to try it again, if it doesn’t work I’m going to try dell/tigerdirect/ect.

just hope I can find the same deals (but I’m still irked that I can’t get the 20% cash back that newegg is offering w/paypal)

well, for some odd reason it worked at home.

thanks again for the heads up on the card. Should get the main system in a few days, video card says 1-2 weeks.

Anyone have a spare POS PCI or PCI-E card laying around they’ll sell cheep or let me borrow for a week or two? I’d like to be able to test the system ASAP so to know if anything is DOA

Wow, this is one of those rare occasions that I actually find valuable information on this site. I was wondering when there was going to be a process-shrunk 8800 series card that gave similar performance with less power dissipation and a lower price. Looks like the 8800GT is just that. Seems closer to $300 on NewEgg though (for eVGA branded cards, anyway)

8800GT’s are commanding a 15-25% premium right now since they are still the best performing card for the money. ATI has nothing in the running and the GTX is still around 500 bones.

ATI has the HD3870, it about 10% slower than a 8800gt but then again its almost 25% cheaper… and don’t forget the dual HD3870 (on the same card) is coming out soon and should easily take a GTX for around the same price… as long as ATI doesn’t seriously mess it up, it really depends on what you want but you can’t go wrong with either a 8800gt, 3870 or 3850

I get over 12000 in 3dmark06 (default settings) with my 3870… runs crysis on almost all high at 1920x1080… so I can’t really complain for 219$