Vonage WiFi Phone

In one of the threads about cell phone service I said I’d never sign a contract over 2 years now because of the way WiFi is spreading.

Check this thing out:

The WiFi UTStarcom F1000 is a pocket-sized, wireless Internet phone that uses Vonage service by connecting to wireless Internet access points worldwide, also known as WiFi hotspots. It’s an easy way to bring your Vonage service anywhere.

http://www.vonage.com/device.php?type=F1000

Who thinks extended WiFi coverage is more than 3 years away?

I’m at home waiting for the Time Warner guy to come and hook my phone up.

this looks awsome… might seriously do it

can they work on wep?

I have already seen wifi phones… there was a guy that came over from tiwan and had one. pretty pimp.

holy shit :tup:

mmm it says the wep key has to be provided by the router :tdown: only unsecure networks seem to work then?

I would think so… it would have to “get around” wep and i doubt this phone would have the abitied necessary to hack web on the fly, considering thats illegal anyways

no i mean it looks like you cannot manually type the wep key in

omg LAME

To make that initial connection you just set the phone to Auto Scan (why it’s not in that mode by default isn’t clear), and the F1000 automatically connects to the nearest open access point. If the access point is encrypted you have to enter your WEP Key, which, is tons of fun to do with a phone keypad, trust us. If you’re at a hotel or Starbucks or someplace that requires you to enter a password or otherwise log-in via a webpage, you’re out of luck; the F1000 just won’t work.