WANT TO HIRE: Fix my car: 01 Accord p1457

Before I go throwing parts at this is there a way to test to see which one it is without a scan tool? When I got this car last november it had the same problem and the guy who fixed it said he could get the solenoid to click with his scanner, so its probably not that? Pretty sure he put some grease on the gas cap so it would seal.

BUT, recently I had the car parked for a week and a mouse managed to get in the engine bay and chew up a few wires. I have since repaired them, but there is a chance I didnt see one, which may be causing this too…

any ideas?

could be a vac leak, the canister could be leaking, its a tough thing to diagnose

Had the same DTC on my 1999 Accord it was the EVAP control canister vent shut valve. If you google “p1457 accord” you will get tons of information on it.

yea I did that a few weeks ago, and got tons of info. lol. I am just wondering if anyone has any tips to diagnose without a scanner.

I should be able to find the relay then provide power or ground to get the solenoid to click over. Ill have to find the wiring diagram to see which the ecm controls.

Is there any way to check the valve without a fogger?

the soleniod is $46 and the valve is $62 through rockauto.com.

Canister control valve is usually it on these.

the valve on the canister and in the engine bay both work when +/- are applied.

could it be the gas cap? any other ideas?

put a little grease around the sealing surface of the gas cap to rule that out but you still have to clear the code

I dont think it would be the gas cap… I think that would be a p1456

thats what I was thinking. when I got the car last year they did the grease around the gas cap trick to get it to pass, so I was thinking it could be that, but its the wrong code…

it wouldnt hurt I suppose

bump, I got a new gas cap last fall, seal is in good condition.

inspection is due november and I REALLY dont want to pay someone to diagnose this, but I’m afraid I might have to get someone with a techII or the like and a fogger…

bump. can anyone fix this for me? I am willing to pay, but I feel if i go to any random shop its like walking in with a blank check. It has to be on a weekend, and my inspection is up in november. So there isnt a rush, but I need to get it taken care of asap

Thanks

bump. I would like to get this taken care of the first or second weekend in November.

It would be awesome if I could trade my tranny to get this fixed

I took it to a friends shop this past saturday, had it fogged. Found a cracked hose and replaced it. check engine light came back on yesterday.

Saturday I am going to check the engine bay harness extra good to see if there is a chewed wire I havent found yet that may be causing the error

pm me if youd like

thanks for helping me get inspected this past weekend. the light stayed off for about 200 miles. figures…

Ill bump this again in the spring as I still want it fixed…

have u pulled out the vent solenoid and applied p/g to it to see if it works properly? thats one of the most simple things you could do in this situtation cuz purge valves go to shit all the time! i know first hand nissan and dodge have huge problems with their evap systems so i wouldnt doubt this is where your problem is.

goodluck

yup:

oh how about having it smoked???

x2, trav get a hold of me again, i have a machine

had it on the fogger for about an hour…