Wastegate Actuator Question

Hello sonlings, I have a quick question regarding the wastegate actuators… I have the stock T25 turbo in my s13 SR but the wastegate is bad (it wont open, so I get too much boost) anyway I just want a quick cheap stock replacement and was looking at the universal ones… Is there anything I need to know? or can I just call up a local dealer and ask for a universal wastegate actuator and hope it works? Also is it possible to remove the old one and install the new one directly without having to to disconnect the exhaust manifold and turbo elbow?

Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Yes it is possible, you just have to remove the hot pipe and inlet pipe to gain access.

Make sure you check for any vacuum leaks before you go through the trouble of getting a new one. A leak in the line going to the wastegate will cause the same symptoms.

Thanks guys, I removed the wastegate, but here’s what I noticed. When i put my compressor to it i feel air coming out of the wastegate where the rod is, but the rod doesn’t move. I guess its a leak and so there isn’t enough pressure to push the spring… is there any quick way to fix this? like some sort of rubber to put between the rod and the wastegate housing?

Ya there is a plunger type mechinism in there which sounds like its ripped. You will have to replace it.

why not just pick up a used one, i have like three of these at my house. I wouldn’t spend money on a universal or new one, if all your looking for is stock boost. Just my 2cents.

Thanks :slight_smile: I did get a stock one, works great… it feels good to be able to floor it and not have to monitor my boost gauge :smiley: can’t remember the last time I was able to do this