Turbo Question

This is for my air compressor, it has a Cat turbo diesel. I noticed this and could tell this was not right. The yellow bar with the plate at the end has some type of vacuum plunger to push or pull the rod. What I am wondering is what this controls or does for the function of the turbo? What works differently when this is not connected?

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q181/blastoffinc/Sullair%20Compressor/DSC_0072-1-1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wastegate basically, it limits how much boost the turbo can build by letting exhaust go around the turbo instead of through it. not having it hooked up wont hurt anything unless it builds more boost than the engine can handle. a boost controller limits the vacuum the wastegate gets to delay opening of the wastegate, thus providing more boost :slight_smile:

that is a bad ass air compressor if it has a turbo

Awesome thanks! I think I’ve noticed a drop in the volume of air it puts out when it has to play catch up.
It is pretty bad ass, I had an older IR before I got this one and man what a difference. It has hi/low pressure(150psi./120psi.) at 375cfm all while putting out instrument quality air!

I would make sure you put those bolts back in the waste gate (you can see them missing in the first picture)

I will definitely do that tomorrow.

Leave the wastegate actuator on your compressor alone. lol
Check those vac/boost lines for leaks, and replace any that look cracked with silicone hose.

There are some things (not many, but some) that you just shouldn’t turn the boost up on.

Though you should hook up a boost gauge. It would just be cool to watch. :slight_smile:

You were close. There’s no boost controller, and diesels don’t ever pull vacuum. The wastegate modulator is hooked to the pressure side of the turbo. It takes X psi to start to move the modulator. As it moves, it opens the wastegate allowing exhaust gas to bypass the turbine, thus regulating the boost pressure.

Actually it’s pretty boring. It probably only runs about 15psi at a fairly constant load so there is not much variation in the boost.
What engine is that, C7?
Also, on a lot of the Cat’s, those aren’t bolts that hold the wastegate modulator to the bracket, they’re rivets. You might have to re-rivet it with some good steel pop rivets.

If it makes you feel better, I have the wastegate on the turbo in my Cummins blocked. I have it tuned at 36psi. Let me know if you want to hotrod your compressor. lol.

yea, lol. thats what I meant. pressure moves the diaphram, not vacuum.

Just pinch off the line going to the diaphragm.

(DO NOT DO THIS)

Fixed. lol

Get some air through that thing and pour the fuel to her

I’m not sure I’m trying to figure that out now. From what you’ve explained it doesn’t really seem to be that big of a deal if it’s not working?

It’s definitely important. It’s directly related to the engine’s power output.

Most of my comments are intended to be witty…you’ve never met me, but I hotrod everything I own. I shaved the head on my lawnmower…
That said, Newman is right. You need to fix it. There are 2 scenarios as to how it can effect engine performance in its current state.

1. The wastegate does not open at all. This creates excessive boost. Executed properly, more fuel can be added in this case resulting in more power. The downside is that the EGT increases. If you don’t have a pyrometer so you can monitor what’s going on you risk burning the engine down.
  2. The wastegate opens prematurely, or does not close. This results in a loss of boost. Depending on the engine controls, either the computer, or the governor will defuel the engine resulting in a loss of power.
    If you absolutely have to run it, as long as the exhaust isn’t excessively black, you’ll be alright until you fix it.

If you can get a bigger picture I might be able to ID the engine for you. Also, look for the serial number tag. It’s silver, about 1" tall and 3" long. Hunt around and you’ll find it. Let me know what it says.

I doubt there is enough fuel to take advantage of the extra air. so all he is really doing is heating up the intake air and increasing fuel consumption due to increased pumping losses. leaning out a diesel is not going to hurt it in this case.

p.s. what is that compressor used for? that thing has some serous output.

I didn’t really put down what I was thinking. I meant it wont really affect it much temporarily if I am only using say 50% of it’s output? Does the fact that it doesn’t have to work as hard mean it wont build up too much pressure that the wastegate would have to open? Should I add a really loud BOV to make sure it’s working? lol(kidding)

What are you talking about?

He’s asking whether or not it’s important to have his WG hooked up, not trying to up the boost or anything.

Stop trying to sound smart.

Ok I didn’t think of that.

I use it for media blasting

Yes there is fuel available to add to the extra air. The problem is the EGT. Diesels don’t run stoichiometrically like gasoline engines, btw.

And, that’s a really small compressor. At my one job, we have two 1600 CFM (@ 150psi)IR screw compressors with 599HP 3406 Cats on them. And, again, in the big scheme of things, this is a small compressor.

NO U

The engine is a CAT 3054C and they don’t sell a replacement Wastegate actuator. I would have to replace the entire turbo which is like $1,500. I’m just going to try to fix it. This was riveted on but it broke free and the holes are f*#ked up now. I’m wondering if I should just drill 2 holes next to the existing ones?

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q181/blastoffinc/Sullair%20Compressor/DSC_0091.jpg