We all expected this day to come - GTR 1st Crash

First Nissan GTR Crash… Other than the first few that Nissan Destroys in testing and regulation.

pfff ****ing Chinese with thier rich history and culture.

isnt the way that thing crumpled dangerous?

isn’t f1 crumple zones way different then street cars.

f1 crumples like paper and flies off on any impact which like you said absorbs the energy and breaks off.

street cars are different as things don’t really go flying off at low speed impacts. no?

maybe a reason why people still get seriously injured in a car accident compared to f1 crashes going 5x faster.

i remember learning this in grade 11 physics

I bet that guy was just showing off not even really knowing how to drive

How do you work a crumple zone into a car. Are some parts made weaker or something?

Info please.

(This is how you learn)

This sucks…oh well i guessthis guy feels like an idiot lol…poor GTR

Well… It’s not so much that the parts are made weaker… rather the frame is actually made weaker. There are some exceptions like the steering column is designed to collapse on impact, but for the most part, the engine block doesn’t collapse, same thing with the heads. When you experience certain destruction things will just break in their own way, but the frame is actually designed with buckle points, creases, etc etc to crumple faster than the rest of the parts it’s holding. They design it so depending on the direction and force of impact, the parts won’t necessarily break, and they understand that if they do break the end result will be disastrous, but more that the frame breaking will push the parts in certain directions.

wow there was a thread already for this…
and yes i did search before i posted my thread and i didnt see any posts on this so i made a new thread… oh well.

but this still is a sad day for the new GTR.
wonder if the driver is kicking himself in the nuts for thisone.

A good example of a crumple zone is actually the hood. If you look at the bottom of almost all hoods, the weakest part is the center and the strongest it at the hinges and the latch. This is so the hood stays attached at both ends and buckles in the center instead of ripping away from the rear hinges and decapitating the driver, like the cars from the 40s’ & 50s’ did. That GTR looks like it crumpled in all the right places and the cockpit held up well. Bloody waste.