Weird Problem

My sr has been bogging badly as of late, it isnt constant but it comes on out of nowhere and frequently. When it bogs white smoke comes out the back (not a good sign). Just today i was driving without a problem, shut the car off and turned it back on five minutes later, and it wouldnt start. I had to fool around with the crank for about 5 minutes b4 it started very rough. At idle the rpms go up and down, almost like the engine is putting, and in first gear the car boggs very badly. Any help? Could it be a blown head gasket?

run a compression and leakdown test to make sure it’s not a bad head gasket.

intermittant problems are harder to track down though. I would also suggest checking all your harness wiring to make sure you don’t have one (or more) wires coming loose as the car is moving.

Can you be more descriptive of “Bogging” as in, as you press on the gas, you have no power? pinging or putting WHILE it’s losing power under acceleration? while the idle is surging, what RPMs does it go down to? what RPMs does it go UP to? and what OTHER troubleshooting have you done? what were the results?

Im going to check whether its the head gasket that is the problem, today. When I press the gas pedal, the car doesnt immediately accelerate, it stops, then goes, then stops and goes again. This happens in the lower rpms, whereas I have yet to experience the problem in the higher rpms.

hahaha, weird, my rad wasnt bubbling, spark plugs were fine. Filled up the tank with 94 octane, found a boost leak, now the problem is gone! :slight_smile:
Also, before I was only running 7 lbs of boost, now i just hit 9lbs of boost!! WERDDD. AHHA wicked.

i guess all it needed was an ol’ tank of the good stuff hehe

Possibly, but I think the main problem that in one of the cylinders the coil pack was loose, causing it to misfire.

YAY… .glad you found the weak link. I was close.

Hehe thanks bud, luckily it wasnt a head gasket problem, eeeee, that was have pissed me off.