What ever happened to real racing?

NASCAR has done tremendous things within their rules restrictions. The reliability of the motors run that long at that high of an rpm with those rules on capacity are remarkable.

PJB’s point is that the RULES have limited them to 60s/70s technology (carbs, 4 speeds, etc) where other series have progressed with the times. F1 is using kinetic energy recovery systems and LeMans prototypes are running on ethanol. They are at the frontier of technology, NASCAR is stuck doing the best they can with the same stuff they’ve had for years. What they’ve done is impressive, just not relevant to the age we live in. Dirtbikes even have electronic FI now.

I dont hate NASCAR nor is this post meant to insult them (in fact I complimented their accomplishments twice), but you’re still supposed to say “you’re superiority complex bla bla bla my penis” and we move on.

Srsly look how lont it took to get them some home brew splitter and a little ass wing :rofl

Back on topic, there’s been some decent racing recently, even in Grand Am:

Also, watch the Grand Am Koni GS race from Mid-O (aired last weekend). I’m still catching up on the European stuff.

Sidebar: Sebastian Vettel. F1 @ Silverstone. Epic. Domination.

like I give a fuck

No, I understand your point.

Who cares about the carbs and 4 speeds though, really? Does that make the race any less, or more exciting to watch? I’m sure the cars are more reliable with a carb than if they had FI, plus the lack of technology can actually make the race more fun to watch, which should be all that matters to us at home.

I feel like this might get good.:popc:

Lets race dinosaurs

Does newer technology make the racing better? Maybe…maybe not. It does however drive faster development of technology. If there was a popular alternative fuel racing series (keyword being popular) then there would be all sorts of new technology popping up way faster than any gov’t funded shit.

If Ferrari and McLaren can develop a high performance version of what is essentially a hybrid engine in 1 offseason just imagine what could be done if all of NASCAR had some newer technology requirements with the tons of cash that is thrown at the series.

Really the only stuff that NASCAR has provided to the mass public (aka Joe Blow that drives a stock civic or a taurus) is safety related. I’m sure provides more to you guys with V8 domestics and anyone with a V8 camry(:retardclap). But for the average public other racing series provide more technological improvements to regular cars for non-enthusiasts.

idk if its been said, bc im not reading the entire thread, but they had that gay soltice cup thing on speed a while back

and the VW race too

The SCCA Valvoline runoffs is the best stock racing you will ever see on television. Unfortunately its only a few hours of programming a year.

Maybe it’ll be at least entertaining because it’s not at Topeka this year. The runoffs are entertaining, but far from the best racing, IMHO.

TDI Cup is good racing. those guys/girls put up alot to do that, very competitive racing.

Fixed that for you.

:eek

This would actually be alot of fun

its all amatuer racing with low budgets. when you started you werent at the level you are either. everyone has to start somewhere right

Wasn’t making a personal comparison. Just saying those guys have some series body shop expenses.

c’mon, rubbin’s racin’ right? :clap they certainly make alot of contact/off road excursions

The OP specifically stated stock production cars. What racing do you think is better with stock cars than the runoffs? I struggle to think of a televised racing series with stock cars besides the runoffs.

Clearly there is better racing to watch, but with stock cars? I cant think of any.

And answer my text message!

I thought it was ‘production car racing,’ to include pretty much everything except open wheel formula stuff and LMP cars. BTCC, SWC, and WTCC would make up some of the best prod car racing I’ve ever seen.

But point taken, the proper national level grassroots stuff is etremely well driven.

Text answered. Turned phone off hours ago haha.

SPEED attempts to get some coverage but is far too cluttered with Nascar and Pumpmyride bullshit…but they do air a small amount of the SCCA runoff’s, Speed World Challenge, Koni challenge, Rolex sports car, F1(also a few races shown on Fox this year), GP2 and I’m sure I’m forgetting some others.

Versus just signed a deal with Speedcast TV and will start airing some NASA races. First race aired yesterday actually…was a Spec Miata race from Miller motorsports park. Speedcast TV claims that by next year…Versus will air “the most enhanced video coverage seen to date”. I haven’t watched the race yet…but it’s on my DVR.

There’s also word of BBC America to start broadcasting some BTCC by next year.

It’s out there…you just have to find it.