What hybrid car should I buy?

Now before everyone calls me a fag and says I’m lame, this car will be something my wife and I will share along with her element. It will also allow me to save money so my civic and bultaco can get lots of new parts.

She also drives to Batavia multi-monthly and Vermont at least a few times in the summer. Buying one to replace my Jetta just makes sense.

I recently got a ford c-max as a work car, and it’s pretty great. It gets around 35 (real world) mpg and I drive 90% city miles. Not looking to spend over $20k though. I would like to stay around $10-$15k

a mid 2000 Prius is at the top of the list, but the ford sync is really killer. I would love something like that in a daily.

i realize I’m probably overlooking lots of cars. Help me out

Homo

TDI would be my first recommendation. No need for a vehicle with costly battery amd transmission issues. But if a Hybrid is a must, you must talk to Andre (coldaccord). He will have all the answers and can likely get you exactly what you are looking for. But once again… In my honest experienced opinion… buy a TDI.

Jam you are a fag and are totally lame. With that being said get a gen 2 Prius and do the plug in and EV switch upgrades. If you want I’ll give you the run down and take you around in mine.

If you can get over not having a backseat, you can snag a cr-z like my old one for dirt cheap and low miles since they dropped in price a ton. I loved that car and still miss the 6 speed, hids, 10 speaker sound system and the 40-48 mpgs.

My wife’s relative got her Prius stuck in my driveway, needless to say I had to get it out. I told her I could do her a favor and plow it over the bank. You cannot even rock the POS because it seemed impossible to spin the tires… At all!

I told her to have Al Gore dig her out next time.

Don’t get a Prius.

^

Did you tow her out with your massive coal rolling monster truck and yell 'Merica?

That thing was covered in soot by the time I was done. :slight_smile:

Doesn’t the C-Max have one of the worst reliability ratings?

battery issues? transmission issues? i have yet to hear of either of those problems with a prius, please quit spreading bad information

plug in upgrade? care to share that with everyone?

This will never be a productive conversion here, talk to Andre, or feel free to contact me personally, my parents went through the process this summer.

+1 talk to Andre

I dont know anything about Hybrids, But i do know my diesel has gobs of power, gone well over 400K miles and makes tractor noises.
and I KNOW you love the VW’s

My vw love is fading hard. This would also be an auto. Tommy I’d like to pick your brain!

I do not want a TDi. I want an appliance that gets me around, that’s it. Transportation in its most basic form

• Updated - - -

Did you turn off traction control? This seems kind of rediculous. Either way, for inclimate weather we have the awd element (which kills it in the snow)

Thanks for the mention guys.

I get the occasional text from jam about it :wink:

My choice of hybrid is the second generation Prius. It’s pretty great efficiency in a car that is spacious with a very good ride quality. Battery problems are unheard of, but as with any hybrid battery repair does not cost an arm and a leg. No transmission issues that I’ve ever heard of.

What Justin is likely referring to is the 1g Civic Hybrid, which had a characteristic transmission judder. Honda was supposedly failing to mention the 30k trans fluid change in the maintenance program. Certain cars developed a glaze on the start clutch which resulted in transmission judder, not total failure from any instance I’ve seen- just a shake at 3mph that’s the only time.

The Prius CVT is superior to that of the Civic (also the 2g Civic CVT is much better than their 1g).

The Prius is preferable to me as the gas motor is able to shut down, unlike Honda. When you’re decelerating, coasting, or starting off up to about 15mph, the Toyota gas motor is off and you’re just riding on electric power. This power is replenished through regenerative braking- every time you coast or brake, it charges and stores the power. Power is available for sole propulsion at slow speeds and hybrid assist everywhere else. Never have to plug it in. No added maintenance. The honda gas motor is always on in the hybrid, though it does shut down 3 cyls at deceleration and turn off the gas motor at a full stop.

The second gen Prius has a ton of room, flat folding rear seats, ample sound deadening, it’s really a comfy car. I’d say drivability exceeds for example a Honda Accord

I get about 48mpg city 55mpg highway on average. Even short, cold winter trips pull 35mpg+.

That right there is reason enough for me. Dead reliable in addition. Great in the snow, I’ve never been stuck. They have ABS, traction control, and the 06+ (and 04-05 with highest package) have vehicle stability control. Every car is best with 4 snows, but I’ve been driving Prii with all seasons through winter for a few years now without problem.

I almost never drive my car, I just take whatever hybrids I have in stock. And you will always see me in a second gen Prius.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Andre

*also- the EV switch is great, we can add it to any 2g Prius.

I did not see a traction control button. The controls were totally foreign to me, the defrost button was on the steering wheel, WTF? The little back and little side windows seemed pretty silly too. Nothing in the car was driver intuitive, maybe my rage had something to do with it. :slight_smile:

Mclaren P1 :slight_smile: j.k. The Lexus hybrid I think is very nice. I guess its a better looking Prius???

Sent from my iPhone 5

We love our Ford Fusion Hybrid. So far we are sitting at 43 mpg for the 15,000 miles we’ve owned it. The winter has zapped it a bit and we are getting something around 38-39 mpg lately. We have not yet gotten the latest software patch/upgrade/whatever which supposedly improves the overall performance (battery only at 85 mph? instead of 62 mph max, etc.).

I’ve never driven a Prius, but it’s hard to argue against it if you are after a hybrid.

I am not spreading bad information. I have first hand experience with Civic transmission shudder on all 3 Civic hybrids that I have driven, all owned by family of mine. Also I have heard that Honda had a class action law suit against them for batteries failing so quickly, and that even after they were fixed 1 in 5 owners had to replace them again in the first 12 months.
These sound like battery and transmission issues to me. That being said, it is now irrelevant. Andre has spoken. 2nd gen Prius appears to be the clear winner here.

Whats the average life time on the batteries in the Prius?