What makes a Ferrari sound like a Ferrari

I know this is a stupid ricer question but I can’t find an answer.

I was just wondering what makes a Ferrari sound like a Ferrari. The f360 and F430 are v8 engines but they still have that high pitched pseudo F1 sound.

The F430 engine is similar in size to a ford modular 4v in both displacement and bore and stroke. Yet a ferrari sounds like a ferrari and a mustang sounds like a mustang. It isn’t the rpms because I have heard plenty of v8s at 9000+ rpm and they still sound like an american v8.

So what produces this sound?

High compression, 5 valve per cylinder in some cases, very aggressive valve timing, high revs, titanium valvetrain components, carbon fibre twin plenum intakes combined together I’d guess?

high valve lift

cylinder head design(ports, chambers, valves, cam profile, timing curve)

why does a mustang sound like a mustang and a chevy sound like a chevy? same reasons

not a stupid ricer question at all.

Ferrari’s used to sound great pretty much by accident.

Now they spend A LOT of money just to make the exhaust sound right.

I did some more research and I think I found the answer

A normal american v8 uses a cross plane crankshaft and a Ferrari uses a flat plane crankshaft. A flat plane crankshaft makes the two banks of 4 cylinders operate more like two independant inline 4s more than a normal american v8. So a ferrari sounds more like two honda s2000 engines in the same car than the rumble of an american small block.

ya thats a good point. considering firing order

flowmaters

whistle tips

see, i say nay. u put the same exhaust on a vette or a camaro and it does NOT sound the same.

probably has something to do with the firing order and the crank

edit - :doh:

e-charger

it was a joke.cause you know every mustang has flows

yep engine design and the way the motor fires. it all changes how the sound works

Interesting. Good find!

i always thought it was the 3 R’s in the name? :dunno:

When you say similar in bore and stroke, how close are they?