What size amp needed

Am thinking of purchasing 2 15" JL W-3’s and wondering which JL amp is needed, the 500/1 or the monster 1000/1. Of course the 1000/1 could power but id rather not spend that much if not needed.

although jl makes great products there are better woofers out there for your money do some reearch befor eyou jump on the jl band wagon look at little known companies such as re audio , soudsplinter check out www.reaudio.com look at the sx or se series great woofers and jl amps great amps but again over priced just do your research

Sweet Jebus. Why are you looking into a pair of 15" subs? Trying to shake the earth at sub-human hearing levels? :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyhow, I just googled the things and found that you’ll only be driving the subs at roughly half power with the 500 watt amp, which probably won’t make much noise. I’d look for at least 800 watts RMS to drive a pair of those beasts. Also, do you have room for around 5 cubic feet of enclosure for those two?

BTW 800/14.4 = 56 amps. Can your alternator spare that much?

yeah jl make great products but slightly overpriced. w-3’s should be alirght on 500/1. but for wat ur gonna spend on that u can get much better products

the size of the amp depends on the size of the subwoofers (amps not diameter). I have 2 1200 Watt subs so I got the 1200 watt amp to power it. I could single power them with a 1200 watt amp each but thats too much. Get the size amp that matches the subs to get most of the power out of them.

If you underpower the subs with a weak amp, you might as well save money and max power weaker subs to get the same sound quality.

Personally, I would go with an amp that is between 1000 and 1200 w rms. This way you have plenty of head room. It is alway better to have more power and turn it down than to run a less powerful amp at max.

Just a thought, If you want a hardcore bass setup, i have a 15" Eclipse Titanium sub for sale. Its good for 1000w rms and for being a 15" it still puts out tight, accurate but very deep bass.

See, im buying them for VERY cheap, which is both good and bad. Were talking 175 for the both of them, i coulden’t pass up the deal but i havent purchased them yet because he may be able to sell them to other people for a bunch more.

Yes, the caddy truck can hold 3 dead bodies, it can spare 5 cubic feet and the alternator is brand new and the high-output one that only AC-delco could overcharge me for.

But, from what you guys say, a 1000W RMS should be used, anyone know who makes decent cheaper ones than JL?

So each of your 1200w subs are getting 600 watts? Kind of a confusing post…

I guess you could say that. But they sound good.

audiobahn or MA audio. both quality and usually a great deal less than JL. i’ve had an audiobahn 1500W amp for years and never had a problem. plus it looks sweet too…!

Though Jl does make great products research a little more.

If your gonig for tight clean bass dont get 15’s.

Get 1 12" W7, Will asound alot cleaner with highs and lows.

If yoru going for extreme bass, Look inot the RE’S. 12" XXX Should do you just fine.

Pm lightningbolt444, hes the car audio man if that is him. His names Ron.

just remember one great twelve in a great box with the right power is always louder than two fifteens in a shitty box . re xxx is a sql sub so its a loud sub that sound good dong it the re mx is a sound quality sub. Mt is stright up spl and he sx is a little more geard towards spl but still sounds decent but really no one can tell u what to get its all personal preferances. as far as amps go look into the elemental designs nine.1 good clean amp for a decent price heres a linkhttp://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=4&pid=6&cur=USD and yea id b happy to answer any ? for you or help u in anyway just pm me or hit me on aim. btw whats up ben