WHERE MY NERDS AT. (another computer thread)

+rep

The computer you built is leaps and bounds better than that dell. with good quality parts. I built a comp on newegg with likely the same shit parts(still name brand) with the same exact specs of his dell(500gb hd and cheaper case/pwr super/mobo all had good ratings) for $900 without looking for any combo deals. if you subtract windows 7 you can get one for 800 bucks.

the dell is only 3.0gb/s on the hard drive and 1/4 the cache not sure how much of a performance difference he would see since its not solid state though. dell is charging $140 i repeat 140 dollars to upgrade from 8gb to 12 gb. 16gb straight up is $42 on newegg.

If you got a cheaper case in there( i got a cheap one for $30 that gets the job done.) and switched to 4x4gb you could easily beat the price and beat it in quality and performance for over 100 bucks cheaper than his price…

HOLY CRAP HD PRICES WENT UP THOUGH. Glad i got my 1tb in october for $60.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT ORDER THE RAM. They are charging you $340 dollars!!! its legit $60 with 4 modules x 4gb ram on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231357

Nuff said.

If it’s triple channel.

Here is a system I built from my own personal preferences… Some of it is just IMO in the difference of AMD IS THE BEST selections and the Hitachi hard drive is simply because from my professional view of things, I have had much better luck with them and seagates then I have had western digitals as of late

Have had a lot of bad western digitals come in right off the batt, and have had a lot of failures within weeks and months. I’ve been staying the hell away from them for the time being.

I generally try to stick with intel theres really no rhyme or reason to it, it just makes me feel good for an “OEM” type build if you will. This one is a bit more on the expensive side but it will have the option there if you so choose to do any dicking around with anything down the line.

The Nvidia 460 video card is without a doubt a better video card, it won’t make to much of a difference but its there and is a great card

I just prefer corsair ram, again the Gskill is fine, but if youe ver overclock it or do anything, ive had much better luck with corsair in terms of stability, again personal preference.

The Power supply is modular, so any wires your not using can come off the power supply so its not all junked up

The case is the rosewill challenger, great case for the money lots of cooling space and easy installation and access of everything.

It will still work…

As long as there are 6 dimm slots. Of course. Most boards with 6 slots will be triple channel :wink:

Well yeah :lol.

The boards I’m considering for my next build will take that memory…I’m a RAM whore :rofl

AHH, I knowww I can build a cheaper one! The biggest thing is I already have a Dell account!! I don’t want to open up another account somewhere else.

With just 8GB of memory and a dell ultrasharp 24", the price is $1,236.75.

Would I be able to install this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

and an extra hard drive with no problem?

:ahh

Exactly lol

GET DOWN NUKKA IS GOIN POSTAL

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Just get yer Dell, if anything goes wrong just call them and give them hell. Make 'em cry

8GB is probably two stick of 4GB. Their board probably has 4 or 6 slots, so no…that memory won’t work. Meaning, you w’nt be able to fit all of it.

As for the tower, you should be able to install another HDD in there.

I personally would invest in a NAS if you’re planning to do any type of serious work on this machine.

I got a Synology plus a 2TB drive and everything I do on my 2TB PC drive is backed up to my NAS 2TB drive. I’ll eventually add another 2TB to mirror the one already in the NAS (doing wedding photography, you can never be too safe with keeping stuff backed up).

ALSO…as an added benefit of having a NAS…a lot of them can stream media to your TV/XBox, etc. Movies, etc.

8GB should honestly be plenty, id say get the ultrasharp, keep the ram at 8… do your thing and see how much memory usage your pc is actually using, unless your editing video, photos and haev multiple instances of everything up 8 should probably do the trick…

If its not, get more memory and put it in

And usually you can add another drive or two

If i was dealing with a fuckton of photos and videos, id setup a nas or something of the sorts like Ilya suggested, would allow you to acess them from anywhere on the network, or from another computer/location if you so choose to allow the ability to do so. Also look at getting something like Carbonite, always have multiple backups of anything thats precious to you.

for 60 bucks at newegg you can upgrade the 8gb to 16gb so dont worry about that. unfortunately that board uses 4 dimms for 8gb they must get the older 2gb modules much cheaper. Sucks that you are stuck with dell for credit purposes or you could build a much better computer for the same price.

the 1gb drive that dell offers is raid 0 which is 2 x 500gb hard drives which unfortunately if one drive fails you are fucked if its raid 1 would be safer but it is faster than a single 1tb drive.

This will be my next PC when I’m ready to build it. Overkill? Yep! :lol

That board only supports 24GB so I’ll sell 2 of the memory sticks off and recoup some money. Plus sell some of the parts from my old PC (or maybe I’ll give to my parents - haven’t decided) when the time comes.

Do you do anything that would warrant using that processor or just want it for the hell of it? Without a doubt that rig would be a beast! I am very happy with my i7-2600 and that thing would make mine look slow (in the proper applications). For gaming it’d be pointless to spend that kind of money on a processor.