Where to find a helmet

Just got a new car that is actually capable of being autocrossed. I want to buy a new helmet because I’m grossed out by other people’s heads… :mullet:

Does anyone know of a local shop where they actually have helmets in stock so I can find out what size I need? I live in the city, but I’m willing to travel.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I’m also wondering this. Sean from Steel Cities SCCA gave me a shop, but they don’t return my calls.

I was considering driving to Summit in Ohio. Would they have helmets I could try on?

What kind of helmet are you looking for. I’m looking for a full face SA2005.

www.racerwholesale.com The G-force helmets are a good product for the money. Granted its not a local place but they are good to deal with.

there is a place in greensburg that you can try one helmets and they will order what ever you would like for 20% off of the book price.

M&M Leather FTW!!!

Why does everything have to be in Greensburg? PITA.

Summit wouldn’t be a bad drive, and it would be cool to check out their facilities.

Maybe I’ll just try on someone else’s at an event sometime to get the size correct. My other concern is whether there’s enough clearance in my car for a helmet…

if you just need to try something on for fitment alot of motorcycle dealers stock a wide array of helmets. if you can find a cycle dealer close to you the chances are they have a few helmets you would be able to try on!!

I drove out to summit for mine. Got a G-force.
They have a bunch of different brands and sizes to try on.

It was about 2 hours for me each way, but it was worth it to get a comfortable helmet.

That’s a good idea!

Do you know how the prices at the store compared with the prices from other companies on the internet?

The prices were close, especially since you have to pay shipping if you order online. The helmet was 220-ish, I believe. And I bought a jacket for like 60 or 70.

I have a couple of bike helmets and they don’t feel the same. The auto racing helmet looks bigger on the outside. It is rated for multiple impacts, and has fire retardant padding and chin strap.

It was worth the time and gas money to me to drive out there and only have to do it once. I didn’t want to order something and have it not fit right.

I was out there once before and didn’t see any helmets, but did they have a decent selection? Could you try them all on? I’m looking for an SA2005 rated helmet, I’m guessing they had some of those? Any idea on price range?

Sorry for all the questions! LOL

Hm… where at? Decent selection to try on? SA rated?

There’s a glass counter kinda toward the back and toward the left. You have to ask the people behind the counter to take them out for you. Then, you pick yours up in the back where they pull it out of the warehouse. And try it on to make sure it fits.

I had to ask that guy to get a couple helmets and jackets from the back to make sure it was the best fit.

Go to www.summitracing.com and type keyword helmet. All the prices and ratings are there.

ya m&m leather its in the plaza that the new sonic is in right under walmart. they have like a wall and a half of helmets if you cant find one you like they will order anything!!!

for 20% off the book price FTW

Awesome, thanks guy! I’ll check out M&M then Summit if need be :slight_smile:

There is also a local race vendor, www.apexperformance.net that you can go try stuff on. They are right out by Moon, and support local racers. They usually have a booth at BeaveRun during bigger events as well.

just curious if you’re able to use a motorcycle helment
DOT and ECE2205 rated…

For certain low key events you can use a M2000 or M2005 rated helmet, but for anything else it must be SA2000 or newer, preferably SA205

Always look for a snell rating. M is ok for autocross but need SA for track events. They are more expensive. DOT sucks and will likely give you as much protection as wearing a bucket on your head.

i emailed them and they moved like 3 weeks ago, they’ll located in SC now

shipping is free atleast

i have meet the guy and his wife who own apexperformance really nice people