Where to get heavy steel plate

I wasn’t sure where to put this.

I need a steel plate, preferably stainless steel in a size of either 3’x5’ or 4’x6’ and 3/4" thick. Needs to be flat. Doesn’t have to be ground, but flat. If I can coordinate with the supplier a few holes to be put in the plate that would be great.

Anyone know of any suppliers locally where I could get this?

Thanks.

@cougarspeed

@Shifty or drew

Ok, I’ll bite because I’m curious… What are you doing with a 4’x6’ slab of stainless 3/4" thick? That’s some serious plating for something.

Making a condom for his big swinging dick

i’m gonna say welding/fab table

if that’s the case, 3/4 is overkill. I have a lil guy that @Shifty got for me - at roughly 3’x4’x 3/16" that fucker was easily 100+lbs.

maybe a shooting backstop?

i was here for this… so continue on.

Yeah. I’m curious.

Call Buffalo Metal Supply

klein steel if the other guys here cant help u.
The handling/rigging will prob cost more than the steel…

if you want i can quote you the piece with whatever holes you want cut from it with a plaz and then you could come pick it up with a pickup…

That is about 750lbs. With holes? Do you know anyone with a water jet?

Klein Steel
Alro
Samuel
Upstate Steel
Ryerson
Alloy Welding & Fab
US Steel
American Stainless
DKP
World Wide Water Jet (dick’s…j/k 8====D)

should I keep going? All these guys can supply and process whatever you want.

Easy! How many holes?

awesome, didn’t expect this many responses.

dave i will get in touch with you soon, i’m almost done designing this. the I beams you got me a few years ago have worked great for my chassis table :tup:

for those curious, i am going to build myself a mobile welding table/workbench. my chassis table has been great but it’s very difficult to move and i’ve been wanting a heavy duty bench to work at. not to mention there is not much certainty with my housing situation and i want something i can take with me. the table will be on casters, powdercoated frame, have its own 4 plug electrical outlet, 2" receivers so i can slide in my clutch tools and other attachments (extra vise, bead roller, english wheel, etc) and some mesh shelving and a drawer underneath. right now i’ve designed it with a 2" overhang on the top for clamping but i’m undecided if i want to add a few holes in the table for additional clamping locations. a steel top would probably be easier because i could tack weld right to the top but the stainless would last longer against corrosion…and i hate rust.

750lb tabletop with 100+lb frame does not sound like something that will roll around easily but to each his own

4’x6’ yes 750, 3’x5’ is around 450. with the right castors the weight is not an issue, still way easier to move around than my chassis table. a 3/16" top would be pretty useless for me.

Does it need to be 3/4"? Couldn’t you get away with 3/8"? I know when I priced out 3/8" for my welding tables at work it worked out to be around 15.3lbs per square foot (mild steel), and I think the cost was around $320. Penetrol after buffing the surface and it’s lasted 2 years with moderate work done on it.

All our work benches are 3/4" tops. I-beam legs. IE: fork lift to move… Mild is easy enough to maintain, screw stainless. 30 seconds with a DA occasionally and a little seasoning keep a nice patina without any rust.

^ this

the only thing i’ve ever done to maintain my mild steel bench top is spill beer on it and it is just fine. If you leave something wet on it like a rag you’ll get some flash corrosion, but nothing that can’t easily be wiped away. wipe it down with an oily rag and forget about it

i really want to see what the quote’s going to be for stainless

The guys at my work all have steel welding tables with the bottoms and edges painted and not one of them is even remotely rusty after 10+ years they have existed. I realize it is a different environment completely, but just something to think about. A thick steel table will likely outlast any of us with a little upkeep.