Where to get R12 A/C Recharge?

My car is old so it needs a A/C recharge.

Unfortunately I have a '93 so it requires R12 instead of the newer R134a freon.

I realize there’s a slow leak somewhere and this is not a permanent fix.

One place I called in Watervliet (some radiator/AC place) is saying it’s over $100/lb to refill with R12. I know it’s expensive, but $200-$250 for 28 ounces is ridiculous. They also want $125 just to “check out the car” and find the leak. They can keep dreaming.

Anyone here licensed to handle R12 and can help with a charge? I will gladly pay for help with recharging the system with R12.

You guys with the old school rides, any idea where to get it filled without paying up the a$$!?

If anyone here can give me a good recommendation and it helps me get it filled for a reasonable price, I’ll gladly buy you drinks or dinner or whatever… I’m serious on this.

Help!!

R12 is going to be hard to find at a shop…

Understand that, that is why I am asking.

I have called about 10-12 places already. Only one place so far is willing to fill it, but at a price more closely associated with illegal substances (over $100/lb).

i acctually think i have a can here in my garage ill check for u

checked with my boss we dont have the right tool thing to do it so sorry

you can convert to R134A for less. i dont know any places using R12 Freon and why dont you fix the leak before dumping any money into servicing it?

aint got ne ya prolly would be cheaper to convert over to the darkside

Couple reasons… My wife only wants the A/C to work for Memorial Day weekend when we are taking a long trip. She doesn’t really ride in my car otherwise… I personally don’t mind if the A/C doesn’t work.

It will cost me $80-$100 to have the leak “checked out” and possibly the system evacuated. Then I guess I could scrounge up the appropriate part and try to fix. Then it will cost another $200 to have it filled up with R12, if what I’m hearing is right about it costing an arm and a leg.

Regarding converting to R134a- that will cost me about $300 at the minimum, not including fixing whatever leak there is. I hear the system doesn’t work as well after it’s converted, so I figure what’s the benefit over the R12 excepting it’s cheaper to fill up? R12 is not as susceptible to leakage and doesn’t require any change because that’s what the car came with from the factory…

Either way, I’m looking at $300 minimum to about $400 to have it “fixed” and then refilled…

My idea is to just get it filled with some R12 and take my chances, even if it costs me $100 bucks…

I DON’T want to get charge $200 to $250 for a fill just to have it leak out.

I’ll risk $100 to have it work for a week or so, but not double or triple that…

That’s all I’m getting at.

you can run some dye in it to help find the leak.

i think you should just use the windows. :lol

a/c delete ftw. :ninja

You can buy an R134a retrofit kit at Advance for about $30-40. Comes with three cans of R134a, all fittings and adapters. Just gotta flush the system of it’s current R12 and refill pretty much.

yeah thats what i was talking about… R12 is bad news, but it is colder.

Thanks for the info… I’m considering getting the system checked and purged of the existing R12. Then maybe use this kit to fill up.

But don’t I have to change anything else in the system before filling with R134a?

I mean, why would a retrofit by an AC tech cost $300 when this kit is only like $40? Is it that much of a scam? I guess I could ask what the tech does in the retrofit, but something doesn’t add up…

so buy some illegal substances and forget a/c. mine works and i never use it. i just open the windows and pop my sunroof. a/c is for pussies, enjoy the convection, if you cannot achieve the desired effect, youre not moving fast enough

j/k

See if you can find that with some oil in it. It helps seals, unless its the metal tubing thats the problem. if thats the case, you might have to bite the bullet and fork out some cash for repairs

It’s illegal to dump R12 AND R134a in the atmosphere. They’re most likely charging to dump it for you legally, along with an hour of labor, the parts at LIST price, etc…

98% of all cans of R134a come with oil in them, as it’s good to keep a good ratio of the oil:R134a. The average can comes with about 1.5-2oz of oil in it.

At this point all they do for a conversion is screw on the new fittings and replace the reciever dryer. The reciever dryer being replaced is the large amount of expesnse your seeing as it most likely also has pressure switches in it that will be replaced. It needs to be replaces since it has a dessicant in it that needs to be replaced to keep water out of the system.

My GTA was a 91 and had R134A. Some makes and models switched over earlier then others. I have a 20lb bottle of r12 left over from when my dad used to recharge AC but it is illegal to use now. Retro fit to R134 is the way to go but honestly R12 is a much better refrigerant.

One needs a special permit to handle R12… If you or anyone you know has a 609 permit to handle the R12 and can help refill my system, please PM me to discuss the price for the services and refill.

I will gladly pay for the refill over converting the refrigerant over. Thanks.