Which Intercooler Mounting Is Best? FM vs VM

Anywho something has been on my mind for awhile about Vmount. I know you need a vented hood right. Anyone know who this will fair with rain??? i mean will it get into the engine and mess shit up?

haha i’ve always thought about that too, but i don’t think it will mess anything up. as long as it’s not going directly on your coil packs or wires, then it should be fine.

say the intercooler is directly under the vent cant the rain get into the cooler and get into the engine???

If rain goes on the intercooler, that’s a good thing. it’s like water spray for extra cooling :smiley:

All in all, as long as there’s no open electricals near the vents, you’re fine. most of the time, the vent is directly into the intercooler

That is similar in design to rear engine turbo’d cars that have intercoolers. Rear Side entrances. Some of them claim they use it to cool the rear brakes (They provide less braking power and less cooling is needed so I don’t see why they would make this claim) but most that have intercoolers say it is to cool the intercoolers. Intercoolers are placed vertically in the direction of the car and the outside scoops are used to catch the moving air while it is forced through the intercooler.
But those cars also have auxilary fans behind the radiator/intercooler for whenever the car is not moving.
Your design is good at the front, but you need a fan for when the car is not moving. And you need a lot of engine space. I can see it on something like a mazda rotary engine or even something like a Buick Grand National/GNX.
Now that I think about it, I remember seeing a gold surpa in a magazine once. It had an RB engine in there and somehow they managed to mount the radiator horizontally with a scoop on the hood so the air is forced through it.
Sento Jidosha didn’t you have the same idea somewhere?

I know you hate the idea Sento Jidosha, but it is an extremely easy way to produce extra power, have better weight transfer and keep underhood temperatures down.
For my Datsun before SDS became big with it, I was planning on doing the same thing. The Buick GNX I believe actually has an external oil pump that can be used for running oil to the back where the turbos will be on either side. At the back of the Datsun, I made the widebody with two big holes. I was planning on putting the intercoolers there and forcing air through them.
Right now though, all I have for the two big holes are a set of little spoilers behind the flare and it also “Cools the rear brakes” :R

haha if water can get into your intercooler that means your intercooler is ****ed. It shouldn’t. Cause remember, it’s holding boost. And yeah, if anything, it’d help keep your intercooler cooler.

so if the cooler is facing up and layign flat cant the water get into the pipes in the engine? but i would think thats why i see some people put the cooler and more of an angle. hence V mount lol but ive seen others put it flat… hmmmm… im puzzled. :hmm

yeah i put two and two together… i sounded like a noob back then GOD!! lol i puzzled myself for no reason… but by far im going V-mount 100% :R

v-mount is the way to go, or putting a frontmount where your rad is and relocate your rade behind the front mount…(inside the engine bay) i would love to go v-mount but imnot a fan of the ricy looking air ducting on the hood. and as for water getting in…i dont htink it will be a problem. i power wash my motor all the time all over accept the intake cone :P. i would say just relocate your rad back about a inch and put the fmic there. the best way for throttle response is to keep the hot and cold pipes as SHORT as possible