Which Intercooler Mounting Is Best? FM vs VM

ok guys i want to hear your views on this which intercooler mounting position you think is best? Front Mounted or V-mounted? i dont know if there are any more ways to mount by yeah. lets chat.

I think i would go V-mount because i would still have my rebar and i wouldnt need to worry about hitting the front of my car and smashing the cooler. :C

H mount!

Here’s a diagram of a concept I came up with my own…
\\\\\\\

| 

|

/////////////

Best set up ever!!
— Represents the plate placed between to blow airflow interference
\\ and //// represents diverter plate which directs air straight through the fins of rad and cooler then hit the plate to lead straight to the engine.

and you came up with this all on your own :S taking about time on your hands. so this would be the best mounting for you to drift with?

Actually, I came across this concept a couple of years ago after I first saw the V mount concept and wanted a better one since I’m not really a fan that look from the front… So I designed the H concept… Although people have done H-mount, I can always see that their air flow isn’t really diverting cool air through the rad and cooler, so i added diverter plates to the center, then I realized that the air would collide and interfere so I added another plate between in the concept so air would be directed straight to engine.

I had a lot of time back then reading and thinking about this shit. haha

I’ll even draw a better picture in paint or something when i got more time…

this i’ve got to see…

and im waiting to here views of other people rather than a back and forth post convo between me and dave here… :S

Here’s a little quick paint I did…

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/1463/hmountec0.jpg

ugh i dont get it lol. me and air flow dont go…

wow david you need to explain this one to me in person and also show me how it would go on your ride… im in the same boat as zep >_<

I’m not gonna do this mount to my car when I go turbo or S/C. Not enough room. But looking in 240 engine bays, there’s plenty of room to do this.

The best way to show this is in a 3d model… which i have no clue how to make in time for the meet. LOL.

I think you guys are confused mostly by the diverter plates… I’ll try to draw a more detailed one tmw night with photoshop…

(staying up all night to line up for PS3!!)

Have you thought about sticking with sidemount? It’s a lot less work and lighter than a front mount. :stuck_out_tongue: just direct bolt in, I upgraded my sidemount and it took like 5 mins, i love it. no one can see my intercooler.

i know your asking about FM and VM, but ever see a STS turbo?
the turbo is at the back of the exhaust, and the piping leading to the intake would be your intercooler.

pure sleeper look

i havent seen it. can you find a picture to post.

Why is this thread in the “drifting” section? :S

V mount is the better option, the more you have to redirect the air flow the less velocity you carry this ‘H’ mount will require quite a bit of very delicate ducting , esp. for drifting where the bulk of the air flow is from a tangent to the bumper face.

I’ve been doing V mounts for years and frankly any one who has drifted with the setup needs to actually block off cooling sections to keep the car AT temp.

Regardless of what choice is made for a configuration. understanding air flow and pressure ingress/egress is paramount to an efficient setup.

This H mount does has 2 key draw backs in that laying down both the rad and the IC requires more of each to be shoved in front of the rad support wall… drifting and bumper/fender damage go hand in hand. Air flow at the leading edge of the rad ( front of the car ) is going to be less eff. then the trailing , (engine side), unless you’ve got a number of splitters to equalize pressure. ( reduced with the use of constant draw pressure, eg: fans pulling )

Because i want to knwo which one is best for drifting in peoples opinion, but i see where you’re coming from…

Sento-san: do you teach people? im dying to learn about tuning and such. i’ve posted in the Tuning thread so you can check out what i said do pm me if anything.

well here is the STS turbo i was a talking about incase anyone was wondering

http://ststurbo.com/universal_system

^ silly design… I undertstand allot of cars are starting to use this ’ under car lay out’ but it’s a seriously last ditch setup for ANY car. velocity and heat are both lost the further you get from the exit point of the head. This means a slower spool and lowered potential power per given volume of gas. not to mention the fact that you now need vaccume pressure on the return side to draw the oil back into the engine, that leaves the turbo open to a greater chance of oil starvation if you happen to cavitate the oil feed line at any time. It’s also a dry climate turbo. the splashing of ground water from a good rain onto the turbine housing is going to add thermal stress to the housing and in most cases shock the metal into cracking prematurely. The lag involved is also something to behold and since all those pipes are thermally coated the ‘IC’ effect of those long return, charged air pipes is moot, won’t happen.
Their are reasons why this system was not used before this, or why it’s used as a last resort by most… it’s flawed, very flawed in it’s design. But, to each his own I suppose.

i’d go VM, cuz then theres less pressure drop due to the short length in pipes… less pressure drop is good:)
however, i see tons of VM’s without BOVs… why is this? i would think since there would be more constant pressure… there would be a BOV out of necessity?

isn’t the HM also a Zmount? i’ve seen a setup like that in a car before (think it was a 350 w/an SR) and they called it a z-mount?:S

Shorter pipes also means quicker spool.

VM also lets more air go thru to the intercooler and to the rad then placing a big FMIC infront of the rad (cutting off air going to rad).

imo, VM is the way to go.

yes by far VM is the way to go.

Sento-san so godly with knowledge teach me :H