Which would you rather have...

So, I was thinking about getting a new toy…
Something maybe no more than $4000.
Right now it’s a toss up between MKII VW and a Jet Ski.
I can’t really decide if I want another car, or something to use on the lake though.

Opinions?
Other options?

;D

I’d rather blow $4000 in Vegas than have either one of those.

Shall I breakdown what you can make if you invested that amount at your age?

Sure… if you want.

Nah that’s boring. I’d buy a sick shifter cart, or spend half of it on ice cream and skittles and the other half on Swedish massages.

o_O

:lol

Ok I’m waiting for an appointment and got seriously bored.

Let’s say your 18 judging by the average age here of 14.

Let’s again say hypothetically you want to retire at 60.

Let’s oversimplify things and say that you invest your cashish in an ordinary long-term mutual fund that earns you a cool 13% annually. Later on you transition into other investments but the average return from age 18 to 60 is 13% but could be higher if you’re a superstud.

$4000 at 13% interest compounded annually (because I’m lazy) at age 60 = $678,195.05.

Yep, thats almost 3/4 of a mil. Now take out a little bit that you’re paying your CFA to do all this for you.

Now let’s say you manage to save $200 per month and add it all to your investment at the end of every year (again, because I’m lazy). $200/mo is like one less pair of shoes, you can do it, because its a big fuckin deal (BFD) to your little nest egg brewing.That’s a measly $2400 more per year, pretty lame on the life savings scale, but it’s cool because you’re starting young because, again, you’re a superstud.

$4000 at 13% interest compounded annualy (laziness, one more time) with annual payments of $2400 at age 60 = $3,789,864.53

So now you turned $4000 and some monthly smart savings into almost 4 MILLION dollars by the time you hit your golden years.

You can pull it out earlier in life too, but you miss out on the dramatic effect of compounded interest.

Busted ass VW or $3,789,864.53 and living like a rock star 60 year old MILF.

Love,
Finance Nerd.

damn, makes me want to invest and put away 2k a year and be sitting nice when i’m older. :nod

jetski!!!

+1…

my grandfather who just passed away about 5 months ago was a self made multi millionaire. Well, in his Will, he left me some money. This is exactly what I will be doing with that money.

sorry to hear about your g-dad…i think im going to be doing some investing

A jet ski might be fun but its something thats only able to be used for a few months at best.
Why not get a 4 wheeler? You can use it all year.

take half invest it and take the other half and buy something fun

but i already have a mkII sooooo

Buy my quad!!! ;D

fawk investments!

live for today, as there might not be a tomorrow… :giggedy

Makes me wanna go (forcibly take money from a) expletive (financial establishment) or something.

Or find a way to speed up that whole interest accrual process…

Bennie has calculated that he could buy a few metric tons of weed for that amount and have money left over for motor mounts.

:crackup

i need a friend like u !!! this something that has been on my mind for a year or so now… and i’m lost as too what to do!!! :idiots
by the end of this year i need to cum up with a plan. ain’t getting any younger and at least if i dont get to live to see my return at least the kids and the wife will!!! :confused

^^ I freakin died when I read “cum.”

It’s all about knowing where to go or who to talk to (GOOD financial adviser, not uncle Bob the accountant) and having the self-control to stick with a plan. Nothing in personal financial planning is a wild thrill ride. It takes patience as you watch a few cents rack up, then a few dollars, then a few hundred dollars, then a few thousand, etc. Young people especially have a tough time not pulling that $10,000 out of the bank and blowing it in a few months.

My financial adviser tells people to forget the money exists. He offers to NOT send out financial reports to his clients to help them forget about it. And eventually, when they need the cash or want to check on their kids’ college fund, they call him up and are pleasantly shocked at how much moo-lah they’ve racked up.

This is why I’m thankful I have Jesse as a friend.

If you use his logic, his 2 cents could eventually be $10.

=)