Who can look at my BMW 525i? High idle problem

92 BMW 525i, 5 speed, m50 powered.

It began throwing the code 1216, potentiometer. I replaced the throttle position switch. Code went away, but now it idles crazy high.

I removed the intake boot, throttle body moves freely it’s not sticking or anything.

I don’t really have the time to divulge, so I’m hoping someone can take a look at it for me and figure it out. Bracketracer can’t even look at it until 7/2, and I don’t have the $ to take it to the stealership.

anyjuan? I mean it’s probably the icv stuck open, something wrong witht he throttle body, or maybe even a problem with the cable. I just need the thing fixed, I don’t have time to deal with it and I need to take it to minnesota on Sunday

Did you remove the cables? Check the tension on them when they are warm. Easy/fast check.

I was going to say Jason/Bracketracer, but I guess you already tried that…

If the tps isn’t adjustable the ecu probably just needs to be reset. Pull both battery cables and touch them together for 10-15 seconds and you should be all set.

you sure the throttle cable isnt hung up on something?

also have you swapped icv’s? how high of an idle?

every one i’ve ever fixed was the idle control valve.

nvrmd i fxd it

not the icv. i’ve had them go before and it was more of an erratic idle than just climbing. i did pull the icv though (so much easier on an m20 as it’s right up top by the tstat. it was a bitch on the m50, it’s under the intake manifold so I had to pull the throttle body. While I was pulling said throttle body I noticed something amiss with the spring that makes the plenum return. s’all good meow

:tup: cheap and easy fix ftw