Who has electric heat?

I’m looking at a 2bdrm apartment with electric heat. I have no idea what to budget for the electric bill.

My only point of reference is I spend $80/mo. cooling my 1bdrm place with the air conditioner. It seems like raising the room temp 30°+ in the winter would cost more than lowering it 15° in the summer. Plus the water heater will be drawing current now too :(.

The lady said expect $80 on a budget plan… color me sceptical.

you have been colored skeptical for very good reason. Stay away from that.

I’m not sure what you refer to as electrical heat, but I have baseboard heating in my apartment. Is that the same thing? Mine using water through the boiler, which I’m assuming is probably gas?

Yeah, thats gas/boiler/loud as fvck radiant heat… i have that now. I’ve never had electric though and need to get a handle on the bill amount.

Its expensive. Better off wearing lots of clothes and using a heater blanket.

I actually enjoy having radiant heat. Its very cost efficient for me, but what makes it electric? Is it just electric radiant heat?

Just call whatever electric company services the apartment and ask them what the average bill was in the winter. Pretty easy solution.

I’ve always like radiant, but its extremely loud in my apartment (probably installed wrong, like everything else in this trap)

I called nat’l grid and they don’t give out that info, which I thought was crap (and prompted this survey). the gas company will tell you anything…

Can anyone throw out a number? are we talking $125, $200, pi*rent^2???

i would guess at about double what the landlady said

My brother built a house and opted for electric actually. However, he lives in Arcade, which has some of the lowest cost electricity in the entire country so it was more economical to heat the place with electric than gas.

In most cases, it is not the most cost efficient method of heating though.

I have electric heat in my 2 bed apartment and we pay $90-$180/month in the winter months. Not on budget billing.

my last apt had electric heat before i bought my house.

i think the highest bill i ever had was like $220 (non budget) most of the time it was around $125

This is what i was looking for guys, Thanks!

I’d still call National Grid and get the average for the address. Heating costs can vary greatly depending on how well insulated a place is.

can do it mathmatically if you have some time and a little brain power.
3413 btus per kwh.

Depends on your apartment tbh.
If youre on the 2nd floor of a 3 floor building with neighbors on all sides and only 1 exposed wall… it will be less than if you’re on the lower of a 2 story house.
:
100-200 min. for 600sq/ft.

and radiant heating should be silent, unless it’s installed stupid.
Or are you refering to baseboard…

id say unless your in a town that has municipal power or other really cheap electric options, avoid the electric heat unless the place is really small or well insulated…

I didn’t think that electric heat was even available around here. I’ve only seen it in very warm areas such as south florida.

Is it something like a baseboard heater that plugs into a 220 line?

Sounds terribly expensive for Buffalo.

My new 80 percent efficiency furnace is 140 to run in the coldest months, keeps my house at 70 degrees.

My father owns an apartment building, all the appartments have elec baseboard heating. Its easier for maintenance and is hard for the tenants to fuck up. Pretty tonka tough.