Who here owns a full size truck and why do you love it

Im in the market for a full size truck and I cant decide on one. I have yet to test drive any yet becasue I want to narrow it down before wasting a sellers time.
Looking at 08-2012 but can go earlier if needed.
Its between the Silverado, F150 and Tundra. Not a huge fan of the Ram but its been a long time since I owned a Dodge. I was almost sold on a Tundra until I saw videos of it failing when put up against the Silverado and F150. I dont care about bells and wistles either. Work truck > DD but def cant have roll up windows…anyways

So who owns what and why do you love it? Pictures welcomed aaaaaaaand go

i have an 08 duramax crew cab. 8 ft bed. its great for towing a gooseneck as you can turn like 110 degrees before you would hit the cab. and its awesome for picking up 8+ ft lengths of whatever. but other than that its fuckin monstrous to take anywhere as an everyday DD. and i normally park where i would take up 2 spots lengthwise so it doesn’t stick out one way or the other

I have this thing…

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f10/richardkrant1/20150823_095738_zpsckxwxmac.jpeg

It’s great because it’s a truck, 8 ft bed, and caveman simple. Taking it down to Carnegie for another bike I bought soon.

I’ve owned and driven lots of domestics and here is my take on them.

Ford and GM are the most expensive, but also have the best resale.

Gm trucks have great drive trains. The 4.8/5.3/6.0 have great power and the newer generation engines get great fuel economy. I’ve been able to get 21-22 mpg in my 15 and average 19mpg overall. (I beat on it all the time.) The interiors are pretty nice, not as nice as the more loaded Fords, but still really nice.

What the Ford lacks in drive train they make up for with baller interiors. My Fx sport with lux package was probably the best interior in a truck sans a King Ranch. The Ecoboost gets horrible fuel mileage, but has decent power. The 5.0 is fine but lacks torque. The 6 speed shifting kind of blows in both the tt V6 and the V8.

Dodge to me is the best overall value. They are almost giving these things away. The chassis and design is kind of aged but they work well. I’d stick away from the sub 2012’s as they have steering issues. The Hemi has plenty of power with ok economy. The real winner here is the diesel, 1500 or 2500 will make you happy.

How many miles do you drive? GM is offering REALLY great leases right now. If you’re ok with a more basic truck you can get them cheap. I just got my dad a 2016 extended cab 5.3L 4x4 silverado 2 years, 12k miles a year for $116 a month with $2k down. Dodge is doing really cheap leases too. Why buy a truck when you can pay ~$4000 to drive a new one for 2 years?

I have an '08 Silverado 1500 extended cab with the 5.3 and 2WD. I love it. Best vehicle I’ve ever owned hands down. I can get 20-21mpg on the highway if i drive it just right, and I averaged 17.8mpg since October (roughly 4000 miles). It will get about 1mpg more during the summer. If you get a Silverado or a Sierra, I would recommend a 2010-2012 model. They went to a 6-speed auto trans in 2010 and it is WAY stronger than the 4L60E in the '07-'09 models. For a real easy way to see if it has nice options look at the front end and see if it has fog lights in the bumper ends. The only way to get them is with the All-Star package or Texas package or similar. If you can’t see the front end, peek in the interior and make sure it has radio controls on the steering wheel on the right hand side. The packages come with tons of features like trailering package, locking differential, heavy duty cooling, dual zone A/C, locking tailgate, etc. Oh, and if you don’t plan to take it off-road then stick to a non-Z71 vehicle. The shocks are stiffer on the Z71’s and don’t ride as good on the street.

WHAT?! Is that a typo? That seems too cheap to be true.

russ … come take mine for a spin … you will fall in love

Whattttttttttt.

• Updated - - -

+1

I drive about 7500 a year so a 12k lease would be fine. But being that I will be using it for work/remodeling etc. If I bang it up im sure ill get slapped on the wrist for it.

And where did you get this payment?

Yeah im about to trade in my truck to lease a brand new truck at $116 a month!

I have had 2 tundras a 2007 (first year of the new body style) and a 2012. They were both great trucks. First one got to 127k and I only ever did brakes tires oil belt and tensioner. Suspension was tight. The 2012 was exactly the same way. Only issue that was killing me as the low mpgs. I think i was getting around 13-15 mpg even on the thruway. Im not sure why as my friends father had the same 2012 and was getting 18.

I got rid of the tundra last oct and got a brand new ram with the ecodiesel. Its a pretty nice ride. Drives smoother than my tundra and the amount of tech in it kills the tundra by a long shot. Plus i get about 25 on the thruway and average 19 in the city. Cant beat it.

He is a gm employee.

I have a 2008 Sierra 5.3 4x4 All Terrain package fully loaded leather heated seats tow package Z71. I leveled it and added bigger tires and I get shit mpg. Its way more than I need, I miss the cost and simplicity of my base model 02’ S10.

How about the new diesel Colorados?

I’ve had 4-5 99-06 silverados in basically every flavor. My favorite was the SS but keeping it nice was a pain. My next favorite was the duramax but the 8’ bed sucked most of the time, I’d rather have double cab short box.

ultradriver is a GM employee. Joe Blow wont get that pricing.

I have a 2012 F150, 5.0, 3:55 gears. Parking sucks, horrible turning radius, low end trq doesn’t hit till 3500 but it still pulls a 18ft camper pretty good. Haven’t had any issues with the motor or trans. Drove it down to Virginia beach last weekend on one tank cruising 70-75 most of the way for 10 hours and got 20mpg. Around town in the summer it gets 15mpg. My only regret is not getting a 4 door and FX4 package.

I have a 2013 Ecoboost F150 XLT 4x4 for my daily and tow vehicle. It is extremely useful between owning a house and a farm as well as hunting. Plus it tows all my toys very well and can put my muddy gear in the bed and just hose it out when done. I do have a 2016 GMC Denali with the 6.2 on order but really have no complaints with the Ford except for the rear windshield blew out which seems common.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t549/smattison81/IMG_1986_zpsvvms6y8g.jpg

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t549/smattison81/IMG_0507_zpsace6zsph.jpg

09 silverado ecsb 4x4 z71
Love the truck. it makes plenty of power stock to tow anything and wont break the bank at the bank or gas station. I agree with Joel, get the 2010-2013 with the 6 speed.
ohh and i love it because I spank every ones race cars.

If you are looking new… GMC/Chevy or Dodge for 1500. The small trucks I like the Coloardo but they dont have crap for options. The diesel Colorado is like $40+K and a huge rip off.

I’ve been a GM guy since day one so all I know or GM’s. I have an 03 Silverado SS that I’ve owned for almost 6 years and bought from a friend who bought it new. No major issues with it besides brakes and front wheels bearings. Had it tuned as soon as I got it with HP tuners to remove the torque management and to tweak the 93 octane profile in it for better gas miles. (high compression LQ9). After 13 Upstate NY winters, I will finally replace the box sides and front fenders due to rust starting to bleed through . I would like to buy a newer GM truck just for the interior upgrades but the prices for anything used 2012 and up are still really high to me. Going to fix up the old bucket and see how many more years I can get out of it. I do love the power (raced a 2015 5.3 and we were dead even in the 1/4) and the AWD in the winter. I maintain the shit out of it and still on all original drive train parts.

I can’t ever see myself having a car again for a daily. Good luck.

'14 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab Hemi

Cylinder Shut off
Awesomely comfortable
Kick Ass Audio
Heated Seats and Steering wheel
Cooled Seats

averages 18mpg. Will hit 25 HWY. Runs on 87.

I love it. Would only move it to get in to the EcoDiesel

Nope its true, that truck was for my dad.

I get one friends and family a month if you want to drive GM!

Im in Mi, but try to get something like this.

My truck was $900 dow and $100 a month LoL.