Whoohoo! VQ section!

:R :wink: :slight_smile:

stop whoring the boards! _=

haha let me know what other stuff i can add dont know much about ur cars lol… any info would help pm it to me tho laters… enjoy

FINEEEEEEEEEEEEE let this forum die then!! I’m sure Zep would be happy on how “supportive” you are :{

hahahaha

Comon Jason, you know you like this section too :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 for thread/section!

VQ’s are a nice series of engines. :smiley:

Especially the VQ30 with a nice aftermarket exhaust or the stock VQ35’s exhaust tone… :slight_smile:

We need to start trading VQ tips. Like how to actually get more power out of the VQ35DE without boost, and without breaking the bank (is it even possible?)

I love this engine, but I just wish it would respond to NA mods the way the K20 does in Hondas (where I’m coming from).

I’m still stock, but I’m hearing the cheapest power mods are popcharger, plenum spacer, and maybe high flow cats (since the stockies seem to be the most restrictive part of the plumbing).

Personally, I’m thinking JWT flywheel and 3.9 rear end. I don’t care if the dyno doesn’t register anything more, I just want to go a little faster in the real world :smiley:

seriously need to find some other ways to increase power in the VQ’s… just not enough options.

Forced Induction is the only way… NA route is simply not going to do its justice…

Anyone want a few G’s down the drain for 400hp? :rolleyes:

Peak HP numbers aside, the power curve seems to respond VERY well to the MREV V2 plenum spacer. A 5/16 spacer with tuning (that’s where shit gets $$$) seems to help out quite a bit, too. I don’t care if the peak numbers don’t rise much, but if the area under the curve goes up quite a bit, then that means the car will definitely be quicker! :slight_smile:

Speaking getting some power. I disconnected my mid pipe from the muffler yesterday and took it for a test drove. Sounds BEAUTIFUL and very noticable power gain according to butt dyno.

I’m surprised the muffler can restrict so much… Too bad I dont have an actual dyno…

I’m taking it to Sequence Garage today to get a custom mid to Y-pipe then tips on it so it looks better and rids of 30lbs at least…

The midpipe might be restricting flow somewhat… I can’t say. What I AM sure about is that the stock cats are the biggest restrictor of flow on the system. Not because of the cat itself, but the piping fore and aft of it that it’s directly connected to… look how narrow it is!

Problem with most test pipes or aftermarket cats is apparently they make quite a fricking racket. Ultimate Racing in Toronto makes some good cats I hear, though… but they cost a grip (nearly 600 US!).

I agree with above. The biggest mod for Maxima’s are aftermarket y and b pipes. Removes the 2 restrictive and crinkled bent Y-Pipe as well as the crinkled bent narrow B (mid)pipe. Plus it makes the car sound a lot better when sticking with the stock muffler and hi-flow cat. I most say the power across the band has opened up significantly with just those mods.

1. Cattman headers
  2. Cattman cat-back exhaust
  3. Apex-1 Intake
  4. Custom Test pipe
    All N/A mods, and you can get more, like flywheel, pulleys, cams, ECU, and so on, look to get custom work also, it is one of a kind thing, all you have to do is find the parts.

youtu.be/n-YzUorpX-g

youtu.be/hcAZjRFlRNc

Round 2: listen to the maxima shift…woooosh…puk.tuk…puk.woooosh…SICK!

Maxima Headers + Stock Exhaust

youtu.be/Q8LtlMSJLl8

Maxima Header + Greddy Exhaust

youtu.be/m-CstP7S5X8

:R

<<<<<+10 , VERY TRUE if people don’t like the fart can sound they should use a hi-flow cat, not remove it, this is the most important part with the resonator that bring out the exhaust note deep and smooth. With out them the car sounds very ricey.

sorry for the double post, just had to give a big thumbs up to someone bringing up this point.

I like the custom test pipe the most B13, much moreso then the Greddy… (If the production dates are true)

^^^ yea me too, the greddy seems to end up becoming annoying after a while…sound wise…and the custom test pipe with the cattman setup gives the most hp, out of all the greddy and others iv’e heard about from some maxima owners.

wow… the VQ thread is totally ruined.

The VQ35DE came very well tuned from the factory, hence the lack of big gains from applying aftermarket mods.

Best bet for big power is to go FI. Not many tuners in North America have been able to squeeze 300+ whp from NA mods, but some in japan have gone above and beyond squeezing 400+ whp from NA mods. Mind you that trying to maximize NA HP will cost you your left nut. That said, its best to go FI.

Just my $0.02:)

LMAO!!! HAHAHAHA… i was starting to like what i was reading too :frowning:

its not like this thread wise alive before…lol