who's running what engine, in their car

I have a Ls1 in my car…for almost 3 years now

I would have to say that its the best choice…so far out of any of the 240sx’s that I have driven

What if its supercharged and intercooled, or if he’s using nitrous injection? :stuck_out_tongue:

I completely agree, I’m not a big fan of running a 4 cylinder to shit, but for a light power upgrade a small turbo 4 banger can’t be beat (Volvo T3 KA-T in my plan), it has good response, efficiency, and a pretty wide powerband. Nothing like that of the LS1 though. People brag how they can beat a V8 with their 4 banger turbo, but then if you turbo’d the V8. lollll

I was wondering, how is regular maintenance on an LS1 inside a 240’s engine bay? Is it like working on a VG30? lol

Btw, I remember having a long conversation about V8’s and you were telling me about chassis twisting from torque at Bing’s meet. I’m that brown guy who hadn’t shaved in ages. lol

Maintenance on any SBC or BBC is not hard. In most any car. 90% of parts are up top.

If you go carb…well then. No sweat. Heat becomes an issue with a big motor in a car not meant for one however. Hedder wrap is your friend. Custom hedders also.

V8’s will always be my choice. Yet, they are pigs on fuel. I have an S15 with a 383. That’s enough small block for me. S-10 with a mildly built 4.3. S13 with an RB20. Variety is awesomeness!

yeah, i love the old-school muscle sound, right now i’m undecided between building a drag spec rb20 over the next two years, or selling my 240, using the cash to fund a 350 swap into another 240. but damn, i just got it on the road though…

Those are both forms of forced induction. Nice try, lol.

^He just said no turbo IIRC, didn’t say its N/A lol

^ ahh, my bad. Didnt read close enough

SR20 in both cars… a 3rd on the side.

i’d like to drive an S13 with a strong RB25/26 in it to see how it feels. I’d consider going either route in a future car.

KA

If i ever had the money the mechanical talent it would be and LSx sitting in there.

I love how many V8 praisers there are! especially for the good ole’ 350cu.inch CHEVY short blocks!:slight_smile:

…if GM could atleast be only in the business of producing crate V8 engines, then wow! haha

Gurpreet…it’s small block, not short block. lol

and gm does and always has had a performance division

http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/

Awesome! Amazing prices! I’ll be sure to give you a shout sometime.

theres always a way to get software for free. i aint going into detail in case this forum doesnt support warez

KA24DE with Individual Throttle Bodies… (just have a major idle issue now) soon to be roaring in a street near you

fucking spammers…

Brother, it’s the same thing! haha small block & short block, google it up and you’ll see the true hotrodders use the name short block and small block too for the 350’s and 383’s, etc.:cool:

even though GM has had a performance division, not much “useful” or good has come out recently…other than the great C6 Vette, namely the Z06 & ZR1, not to mention, the Pontiac G8 or the Original Aussie division of Holden, the legenday Monaro! :slight_smile:

Short block is an automotive term describing an engine sub-assembly.
A short block is the portion of the engine block below the head gasket but above the oil pan. A flathead engine will also include the cam and valvetrain. The overhead valve style of engine will not include the aforementioned parts on the shortblock. A shortblock is usually purchased to upgrade the water jacket, piston size or bore. Assemblies typically include the crankshaft installed and balanced along with the main bearing.

Long block is an automotive term describing an engine sub-assembly consisting of the following:
Short block. The long block is always a superset of the corresponding short block.
Cylinder head. A complete new or remanufactured cylinder head assembly is installed with a new head gasket and torqued to specification. Complete cylinder heads include new or reconditioned valves, valve springs, valve guides (if applicable), valve seats (if applicable), valve locks, and valve keepers. The bare head is free from cracks, warps, or holes.

Small-block

A small-block engine is a North American V8 in a family of engines which generally have less than 6 liters (360 in³) of displacement, although some derivatives have grown larger (up to 427 in³, 7.0 L). A 505in³, 8.3 L V10 is produced by Chrysler, a derivative of the LA engines. Larger families of engines are called big-blocks. The distinction came about in the late 1950s when the large full-size cars needed a bigger V8 than the smaller mid-size and compact cars - though consumers wanted a V8 under the hood, the recession of the late 1950s provided some of the earliest American awareness of fuel economy. Prior to that point, manufacturers normally had only one V8 engine line.
The term is normally used only for engines from the “Big Three” (Ford Motor Company, General Motors, and Chrysler Corporation) since the other companies did not keep two V8 engine size families. However, it is sometimes used for the more modern and compact V8s produced by others, such as Studebaker.
The term “block” refers to a piston engine cylinder block, which is the lower portion of a piston engine containing the pistons and cylinder bores.
Although a small-block V8 generally has a smaller displacement than the equivalent big-block, a small-block engine can be built to develop significant amounts of power. Additionally, many small-block engines were more advanced technologically than their big-block counterparts, and were much lighter and smaller. Innovations such as aluminum heads and blocks generally came first to small-blocks. From a new car buyer’s standpoint, they tended to offer an acceptable compromise between horsepower and economy, so they were a popular option instead of the basic I6 or V6 engine base model. Because of their attractive combination of popularity (and therefore low-cost availability) coupled with good performance, good fuel economy and light weight, they were often preferred in racing and sporting applications. Many hot rods and custom cars are fitted with small-block V8s, particularly the GM (Chevrolet) 350 engine and the Ford 351 Windsor.
There are some cases in which small-blocks seem to encroach upon big-block displacements; in these cases it is most important to keep in mind that small-block and big-block refer to engine families, not simply displacements. For example, engines ranging from the 4.8 L Vortec 4800 to the 7.0 L LS7 are all GM small block V8s, and share the same general external dimensions. The LS7 achieves enormous displacement by having a very large bore and stroke in the same compact block as previous small-blocks, but has very little space between cylinders. This would not be acceptable in a truck engine, and was not possible forty years ago. As a result, 7.0 L is a displacement ordinarily reserved for big-blocks, which can achieve it with fewer compromises in reliability and less engineering effort. A 7.0 L big block, like the 427 Chevy first seen in 1966 Corvettes, is a much larger engine externally and shares external dimesions with engines ranging from the 6.5 L 396 to the 8.1 L Vortec 8100.

Ford
Ford does not categorize its engines using the big/small block nomenclature. Rather, Ford literature distinguishes engine by its series, or family. Enthusiasts unaware of this fine point will nonetheless classify the smaller families as small block engines. Third-party equipment vendors, following suit, have taken up the practice as well.[2]
Ford Y-block family (1954-1962)
Ford Windsor or 90 degree family (1962-2001)
Ford 335 series (AKA Ford Cleveland engine, also erroneously referred to as “mid block”, because some variants mate to the bell housings for larger displacement families.) (1970-1982)
Ford Modular engine

GM
General Motors small-block V8s include:
GM Small-Block engine - Generation I chevy small-block 1955-2003
Oldsmobile V8 engine - Oldsmobile small-block 1964-1990
GM LT engine - Generation II small-block
LT5 - DOHC 4-valve small-block from Lotus/Mercury Marine
GM Premium V engine - Cadillac Northstar and derived engines
GM LS engine - Generation III and IV small-block

Chrysler
Chrysler Corporation small-blocks include:
Chrysler A engine - (1956-1966) first generation small-block
Chrysler LA engine - (1964-) second generation small-block
Chrysler PowerTech engine - (1999-) Jeep-developed replacement for LA
Chrysler Modern Hemi engine - (2002-)

google and wikipedia are seriously kicking ass tonight

:wackit:RB26dett !!!

proof
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa74/rbs14kouki/my%20240sx/SSPX0638.jpg

bullshit , take a picture infront of it holding a sign saying i love son240sx.org and ill eat my words and send you $100, the mods can hold me to this and ban me if im wrong

Hector…you are the SHIT!!!

Took the words right the fuck outta my mouth about the short block small block thing.

That S14 is TOOOOOOO clean and has mucho expensive parts for it to belong to someone on SON.

I’ll pitch half that hundred if it does!