wife needs new car

okay… so today i get a call from the wifey saying she is on the side of the road and the car is dead…

she heard a rumble then the car shuttered…then that was it… turns out it threw a rod and blew a tennis ball sized hole in the block… so its new car time…

she is a real estate appraiser and drives every day for work… she put 34,000 miles on the car last year…about 110,000 in a little over the past 3 1/2 years…

now this not going to be a lexus SUV…drawing buildings doesn’t pay as much as buying buildings…

the key features that i’m looking for her are as follows…

1- good gas mileage… 30+ around 35ish would be great

2- small (ish) not fit/yarus small…but compact to the lower end of mid sized… she is only 5’-0" and she has a hard time seeing over the front or over the back in bigger cars… so height adjustable seat is a must too

3- 4 doors… i don’t know why but she absolutely will not get a 2 door

4- reliable- remember 30k+ miles a year

5- somewhere under $25,000…i’m probably going to put 5k down… could probably go as far as 12k but i’d rather go with 5k… b/c now that she has a new car i might as well get one in a couple months…but thats our secret.

any suggestions would be welcome… we test drove a new nissan sentra this afternoon and she really liked it- but i don’t want to let her rush into anything… she thought she really liked jettas 2 weeks ago…women…

Corolla? Camry? Accord? 4-door Civic? And I think you were refering to me when you said drawing buildings doesnt pay as much as buying them… way to sneak that in haha. I personally like the new Camry body style and the 4cyl in them is proven to be reliable and good gas mileage.

an old beetle!

what’s up tom :slight_smile:

[quote=“ly555is,post:3,topic:29046"”]

an old beetle!

[/quote]

Who’s this?

[quote=“ly555is,post:3,topic:29046"”]

an old beetle!

[/quote]

nah that is what the rest of that downpayment money is for…

Buick Lacrosse, G6, Saturn Aura

Personally, I’m not a big fan of Kia’s, but I used to work for them, and the Spectra sounds like something that might work for her…they start at $13500, small, four dours, 27-35 mpg, and from what I recall they have very good warranties on Kia’s…she could also check out the Kia Rio, Subaru Impreza 2.5i, Mazda 3, and I have to agree with ^ about the Camry…Great cars.

corolla s sounds perfect

Civic, Mazda 3, Mini Cooper.

i’ve suggested mini cooper but she isn’t convinced…

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16816

gets about 28 MPG, and is cheap

new camrys are surprisingly nice

Aura

Civic or Corolla.

They’ll get 40mpg highway and stay in the 30’s in the city. Good crash test ratings (which should be a top priority for a loved one who spends hours behind the wheel every day.) They don’t break. They hold their value. Step up to a 4 cylinder Accord or Camry if she wants/needs something a bit bigger.

g6 is not a good car. well, if you drive it slow it was solid. i was in another state and rented on not to long ago and wasnt impressed with the driveability

i would go for something with a long warranty…
because she is putting 34k a year most of the cars mentioned would go out of warranty in a year…
kia or hyundai…good safety test ratings…great gas mileage…good price…good incentive… but over all…long warranty…
i put 30k a year too…
ps:i just bought a hyundai so i might be more incline/my opinion might be biased…

hyundai sonata is a sweet ride with a sweet warranty

My wife just picked up a 07 Jetta Wolfsburg. So far we think its pretty pimp for a car around $20k. Leatherette interior, heated seats, MP3 CD player, cool VW gauges, sunroof, I5 engine w/ 160ish hp & 150ish tq, IRC 28mpg, and 16" wheels. Oh and it has a HUGE trunk, this thing has more cargo area than my Grand Cherokee.

[quote=“The_Russian,post:6,topic:29046"”]

Buick Lacrosse, G6, Saturn Aura

[/quote]

What young person would buy a Buick? (GN’s not included in this statement)

I saw a black Aura the other day with cinnimon leather and I really liked it.

Mazda 3, Civic, Impreza are all good choices.

I saw a couple college kids in Lucernes with 22s

get an 07 camary,

under 21k with abs, pw, pl, pm, auto, cruise, ac, cd. Really a good bang for your buck and there is a lot of room in it.

My gf has had her 07 for just over a year now, and its been great.