Car ideas for the GF...?

So my gf needs a new car within the next few months, I have a few ideas of what would be a nice ride for her but we’re open to options. She will be buying the car (I’d like to help her buy something above her price range but we both agree that’s a bad idea for now) so her max budget is $15k (that is max, closer to 10 would be nice).

Her current car is a '95 Saturn SC2 w/ 140,000 miles on it. Honestly, for what it is it’s not a bad car. It’s just old and beat up. The previous owner was a friend of mine and he beat the shit out of it. It’s a wonder it still runs. But it’s starting to be unreliable and she really deserves better.

She’s a nanny for 3 kids ages 6, 9 and 15. The car she gets has to accommodate taking all 3 to and from school and sometimes a friend of theirs. Though the oldest will be driving herself pretty soon I guess. The little Saturn barely cuts it right now. Everything I really like for her is a 2 door but she really needs 4. She drives a lot so a car w/ decent fuel mileage, low maintenance costs, and good reliability are key. A 4 door 4cyl or 6cyl car is basically what she’s looking at.

As for what she likes she told me what she really really wants is a Firehawk. LoL. I didn’t even coach her into that one. But a Firehawk has little or no more space than the SC2 for ppl or things. The fuel mileage when left stock would be good 'nough and despite what you all will say I believe the reliability if we got a low mileage one would be fine. But the $15k price-point really rules out a low mileage Firehawk. On top of that it’ll be another money pit cuz I won’t be able to leave it alone (come on, it at least needs lowered, intake/exhaust etc).

She also likes Land Rover Discovery IIs. You can find some very nice ones within her price range with under 50k miles. It obviously has the room she needs. But I question the reliability and maintenance costs. And although she “thinks” she likes the Discovery she generally likes smaller nimble cars and hasn’t driven one yet. I think she’ll be somewhat displeased w/ the drive. Oh, and I think when I go wheel it and bring it back w/ body damage I’ll be killed. :smiley:

Sooooo anyway my first thought for her was a mid-90’s SC300. I actually want one for myself for my own daily driver. The problem of course is it’s not much bigger than the Saturn on the inside. At her price you can find some w/ surprisingly low miles and hey, it’s really a Toyota so I’m not worried 'bout reliability. She likes 'em so I guess it’s still an option but the size and it being a 2 door are problems. Oh, and a subtle drop and 18s would be mandatory. :wink:

IBDARKSTARSAYSMAXIMA I also was thinking of Maximas. The only thing is I really don’t think she’ll see it as nice or cool. I think it’ll seem to her like she’s putting out a lot of money for a car she has to get for her job rather than one she wants to get for herself.

But basically I want some opinions. What’s a nice car available at for $15k or less that actually has some appeal too???

-TJ

Jeep Grand Cherokee…

My wife has one, great for kids and stuff, unstopable 4WD, V8 has zip, 6 cyl for gas mileage, great resale

Good suggestion, thanks! I hadn’t really thought 'bout the GC. It looks like there’s some nice examples available in her price range. The fuel mileage and reliability seems pretty similar to the Land Rover.

Eh, she’d barely be happier w/ that than her current car. The only plus would be newer/lower miles. Now a new V6 Ultima w/ the 245hp might be another story.

-TJ

Now how about getting a Buick for yourself… :slight_smile:

tjGN ? Sounds good to me.

The only drwback to getting a Buick is you’ll have to get ALOT of Grand Cherokees…You’ll have so many girlfriends you won’t know what to do. Buick groupies :hitit: :hitit: :hitit:

LoL. You know the funny thing is there’s this '86 GN that I drive by every weekend when I go play hockey. I’ve always noticed it sitting @ this house. A few weekends ago I noticed a for sale sign on it. They want 13k but I bet I could get it lower. That’s well within her range. :wink: I was really thinking of trying to talk her into it. But honestly it’s a bad idea. If she doesn’t really like the car on her own she’s going to be mad at me everytime she has to make that payment on something she doesn’t really like. I’d want to mod it of course, so more $ out of my pocket. And I’d probably kill the kids she nannies when they set a backpack on the hood or something. :wink:

-TJ

typhoon

Scions brand new are right in that price range… Not too bad either I think they are kinda “neat” definately different though. The only one ive drove and been in is the XB i liked it, weird not having any gauges right in front of you but it was pretty roomy just sucked on trunk space. Just an idea for ya :slight_smile:

Edit: The cherokees are really nice too, we are actually looking to get one for winter… after the winter we just had we couldve used it.

How about a four door 3.8 grand prix? In the price range of 10K n look nice?

i dont know shit about domestics, so ill chime in w/ import side since i fuck w/ them every day.

the land rovers are a maintence cost nightmare. dealer price on clutch install is over 4k w/ parts. It is a time consuming job. If it has an auto, then you will be fucked there as if the tranny shits the bed, they are not cheap. Actually-- nothing on them is cheap. Plus it is british,. so your fucked their too. I swear anything made in england is shit-- jaguar, land rover, mg, triumph, etc etc etc… i have yet to work on a british car that is not a motherfucker. I have not worked on a jag since ford bought them though…

used car wise–

volvo’s. they are safe, and the newer ones are sexy as hell (s40, s60). I see them pop up used for around 15k. they have every motor imaginable. from str8 4 & 5 bangers, 4 & 5 cylinder turbo, twin turbo 6’s… all pending how far back u go. The older volvo motors you can not kill… The newer ones are not as hard to kill, but still withstand abuse.

the vw jetta wagons are pimp. those dont have to many problems, hold their resale more than the other vw audis, and go for under 15k. Only other vw id recomend is a turbo diesel-- as they get awesome milelage and hold resale

anything honda-- its a honda-- reliable.

Toyota camry are decent, as are the avalons-- they share alot of parts.

toyota makes a supercharged minivan–priveia. it is awd. But they are a pita to work on. motor is mid mounted, s/c and acessories are mounted under hood. they use an shaft from acessories to motor-- fucked up setup, but awd and turbo :slight_smile:

believe it or not, i like the newer hyundais. their build quality has dramatically improved. I wouldn’t consider them a shit box car anymore, as they deffinitely are gunning for the other jap car makers. I get alot of them wrecked pretty hard, and have yet to see a wreck that intruded on the passenger compartment. The crumple zones do their job.

Also, subaru wagons are deffinitely pimp. Just need to make sure maintence was done on the motors. As the 2.5 liter motors bring a premium.

maybe a 4door cavi. Im sure dealers are going to start dumping them off to make way for the new colbalt.

They are already dumping off, but I would not sugest this. Yes I have a cav, Yes I like my car. I also work on it myself and don’t run to the dealer for everything I’m not sure of (just 8.1crew). My wife’s cav on the other had was a nightmare for about a year. Cvas are all the luck of the draw and how well you maintain them. Also the 4 doors do not have as much room as you think with a sedan. It actually has less room then the coupes.

I was going to say a scion also as eclipse chick stated. They are right in the 10-15k new. Also if she wanted to stay with a coupe and same make the new saturn ION would be a half decent choice. Has the coupe look but has the “third” doors. Hell I asked my wife If I decided to not get my silverado in the next year what kind of car would she want keeping in mind we would be purchasing two new cars at the same time and mine has to be some type of 4X4 truck. Thats what she picked because it would still have the look of a couple yet easy to get kids in and out.

x2…my gf has one…its really nice…she has the 6cyl. and man talk about good gas mileage…she fills up maybe like once every week and a half!!! and she does a lot of driving too!!! good car to think about

saab 2.0t > *

i’d buy one of those in a heartbeat… but htey are probably more than 15k and kids fucking that up wouldn’t be cool

get a jetta wagon !!! haha, those are sweet.

or get a turbdo diesel…i see them out in cali for like 13k… i’d kill someone for a turbo diesel golf for 13k out here on the east coast… they go for 16+ for the same damn thing.

my mom drives chrystler seabrings or something… maybe she has a new concorde … it’s big, it’s a girls car, and she hasn’t had any problems… the sebring is ‘sport’ in respect that it’s a 2 door but has some room.

My step-mom had a Disco. Fucking garbage.

$15k?

If she likes her SC2, why not an Ion? Admittedly, they aren’t as fun as the old SC2s, but it has a fairly respectable engine (2.2 ECOTEC), the plastic body panels, and she can get a coupe with suicide doors to accomidate the kids.

Already stated :finger:

She should buy my 2003 Eclipse GT. Will fit those kids and is still fun to drive around. Paypal me $13000 and I’ll UPS it overnight to California.

Thanks again for the input. I guess I should have stated she doesn’t want a wagon of any sort. She’s 'bout to turn 25 and is a nany so she’s already having this “I’m an old woman” crisis thing, LoL. I really think the SC300 is a great car for her if it wasn’t for the damn kids.

I hadn’t even considered Saab… but now they’re looking interesting. If it wasn’t for the hideous wheels: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31867&item=4515572002&rd=1

-TJ

3 series

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6007&item=4514367600&rd=1

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i22/03/a/03/1e/f7/ec_1.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31866&item=4516161074&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#mainImage

that’s what you want!!! :bigok: …