Windows Vista (beta2) review

hahaha… oh, you mean the public version? sweetness :tup: didnt think it was gonna be out this soon

edit: I wonder what the odds are that I’ll be able to set my calander back a year in vista to keep it going until the official release comes out :stuck_out_tongue:

id have a better chance of sprouting a pussy and bleeding out of it b4 u can set ur clock back a year and make it work, M$ is not that stupid.

:lol:.

dang… anyone know if you can easily change a cd-key in vista? (I’m guessing not)

I remember there was a way to do it in XP.

just so I dont have to go install it over again

in xp you could change it by going to

-start menu

-programs

-accessories

-system tools

-activate windows

then you can change it when you click that you want to register over the phone and should be a change product key button

bah… I just went and re-installed it

btw, on the driver thing you were asking about, nvidia has a beta driver avalible for vista :tup: (actually, theres alot of companies with patches/beta software/drivers for vista beta 2) :tup:

http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List

vista beta 2 wiki :tup: (compatibility list)

IE7 guys… is there a way to ditch the MSN search toolbar in favor of google toolbar?

edit: oh btw… to change the vista cd-key (just noticed where it is) go to the control panel->system

near the bottom of the window under the text “windows activation” click the link “change product key” :tup: wish I would of known that earlier :stuck_out_tongue:

And XP runs on a celeron 300 with 64 MB of RAM too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well not well at least.

lol you are right… I have my parents old ass pentium 3 HP running XP media center hahaha (I think it’s like 400 mhz or something). Takes, no lie, about 5 mins to start internet explorer. :tdown: they dont want 98 back for whatever reason lol

System requirements
There’s been a lot of baloney out there about Windows Vista’s system requirements. Part of the problem is that Microsoft hadn’t been particularly forthcoming about what is required to run Vista effectively, beyond a DirectX 9.0-compliant 3D video card. I wrote up my own explanation, Buy a Windows Vista PC Today, a few months back. But with Beta 2, finally, Microsoft is spelling out the requirements. They will surprise you, and in a good way.

The minimum system requirements for Windows Vista Beta 2 are an 800 MHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) microprocessor, 512 MB of RAM, a 20 GB hard drive with 15 GB of free space, and a CD-ROM drive. For Vista Home Basic, Microsoft recommends a 3D video card and a DVD-compatible optical drive, along with audio and Internet capabilities. For Vista Home Premium, Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise editions, the company ups the ante with 1 GHz microprocessor, 1 GB of RAM, an “Aero capable” video card, and a 40 GB hard drive. That’s it, nothing complicated, and certainly nothing particularly daunting. Forget all that noise about your PC not being able to run Vista.

There is one item here worth pointing out. Notice the “Aero capable” video card recommendation listed above. This specifies a DirectX 9-compliant 3D video card that supports a technology called Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware and includes a new Windows Device Driver Model (WDDM) driver. Before you get too nervous about those requirements, we’re basically talking about every 3D video card on the market today. And there’s even one integrated graphics chipset–the Intel GMA 950–that fully supports Vista’s gorgeous Aero graphics, so even modern low-end notebooks will run Vista beautifully.

If your PC is capable of running Windows Vista, but you don’t have a compatible video card, you will see the Aero Basic interface, which is, frankly, pretty ugly. It’s supposed to be based on the same basic display technology that was used in Windows XP and previous Windows versions, but it’s not very attractive. Hopefully, this mode will be prettied up by the final release. Cross your fingers.

click the drop down box next to the msn search bar and click find more providers and google will be on the list, then just click drop down again and select google

awesome :tup: thats kind of cool actually… microsoft isnt forcing their other wares down your throat for once lol

now it would be really nice if you could use windows messanger for AIM

edit: actually… I dont even see messanger… even better :tup:

heh… kind of funny. not sure why it’s listing me as a 256 card though… it’s only a 128 (unless it’s using that hyper memory or whatever it’s called)

my video card is leading the pack haha (I believe that I read that it only rates up to 5.5 or something). not that I really trust it but still funny

ya, vista says I have 384MB graphics card, I have a 256.

also cannot get alcohol or daemon tools to work even though daemon tools says it supports vista

Hey, were you guys able to install the beta without losing XP? I don’t want to go any further than where it tells me all my old windows files will be relocated to windows.old I’d love to try this but I don’t want to lose everything…

dont install it on a partition with XP (unless you dont care about it… aka spare computer)… make a new partition of atleast 30 gigs to put it on and it will automatically set it up for you

do a google, there is a compatablility list out there, and Alcohol is on that list of not working correctly.

i remember that one specifically since i use alcohol.

I installed one of the few games I actually own, Battlefield 2, the sound is choppy and my 5.1 is inactive(in game and out) which I may have to find some AC97 audio drivers for vista if possible. Also when I go to multiplayer a huge polygon looking thing starts flashing like a rave but I can randomly join games.

Just a matter of time until programs like alcohol are imported over.

EDIT : I tried the vista beta sound drivers from realtek but still got an error and no surround, the beta vista drivers from ATI for my graphics card worked perfect though

yeah… I’m having problems with my ac97 too (program/mixer/equalizer wont load)

anyone play around with the voice recognition yet? wild stuff lol… I was writing a document last night simply by saying it :tup: