Wireless Network Card Question

I figured I’d get a few people’s opinions on what is good and what is not.

We just ordered Verizon DSL for our house with the wireless router that comes with it. My room where my computer is, is about 50-60 feet from where this modem will most likely bet set up (parents computer). What kind of wireless card would be the best to accept whatever signal their wireless router will send out?

All I know about what they are getting is a “Modem/Router - built in 802.11g wireless home networking capabilities, premium firewall, ability to connect with up to 4 computers”

If anyone could help me out since I don’t know alot about wireless connections I’d be much appreciated.

get a wireless G card and ull be set… everyone has their own preferences… i like linksys to be honest

That’s what I was leaning towards.

linksys or motorola imho, pci slot preferably. some people opt for wireless usb adapters, but they generally have a more limited range due to the lack of an external antenna.

i would go linksys…i have an internal wireless card on my laptop…and a netgear wireless router(sucks balls) and DSL and it has plenty of range and strength…

word word and word…

Sweet… Linksys wireless pci card sounds good

whateever u do spend the xtra money…dont cheap put like i did…i am gonna get a new router mine sucks…the security on it blows

:tup: Ya, I think I’m going Linksys for sure.

Hey man… I have a brand new linksys wireless card I’d be willing to let go of.

I bought it in hopes that I’d be able to leech internet from someone at my apartment complex but instead I’ve decided to just go order DSL for myself (no hastle and no risks that way).

its a PCI card and I believe I still have the box and everything for it. shoot me a PM if intrested

Thanks but I purchased one on my lunch break… :slight_smile: Thanks anyways!

Lynksys has a better unit, but Netgear has better software. I have used both, and found netgear to fit my needs best.

Alright… I just put in my wireless card. It says that it cannot start the device. Could that be because we don’t have the DSl yet and there is no wireless signal for it to see?

No signal, did you install the software?

no no no… you don’t understand. I have bought the card because we are waiting on Verizon to get us our DSL… they are notoriusly slow on setting up the connection. With no signal for it to pick up it says this device can not start in the device manager. Can it not start because there is no signal?

EDIT And yes I installed the software and grabbed the latest driver from Linksys’s website.

It’s all good now… all of a sudden it’s working. :slight_smile: