WNY Solo CHAMPAGNE RUN!!!! - ECCN - 9/7

Ouch… champagne run got called because of rain? No fun runs?

I don’t remember what year it was but there was a pretty recent champagne run that was just miserable. Temps in the 50’s and rain most of the day. It was one of the few times that you looked forward to a long line in grid because you could sit there with the heater cranked to ward off hypothermia.

yeah it started pissing on & off in the am sometime after 11:30ish, looked like it was going to clear up but then within the next hour the entire sky went overcast and down it came. Didn’t let up for the next few hours

Paid $30, was out there marshalling 3 times, ran twice, and got soaked becuase no workers wanted to come out for relief. So glad I came out to pay $15 a run.

Nystanger,

Sorry for that, the events are usually a whole lot more fun then that. This is the first time in the years I’ve been doing this that an event was outright ended because of weather.

The biggest problem with rain at ECCN is that (as you saw) the lot has horrible drainage. Not only was the grid under at some spots over 6 inches of water, the course had deep standing puddles as well, which would have taken hours to dry up.

Even the rental car on full-tread street tires was hydroplaning at 40MPH in spots in the lot, and the splashes coming through the puddles were making visibility a real problem as well. I suppose we could have waited it out, but honestly, with the drainage there, we would have had to wait several hours for the conditions to be safe.

I realize that stopping the event early wasn’t going to be a popular decision, but it was the safe one. It should also be noted that at the time the event was stopped, grid was empty and many were already starting to pack up and leave.

After we ate, I had to swing back to ECCN to pick up the truck - probably around 5ish? - and the lake that occupied grid went from one end to the other. It was pretty deep.

yea, was talking to a buddy at the end of the lot near that lake, few cars came through and we didn’t get splashed but literally a few seconds later a wave of water came halfway up to my knees :lol:

u should see that place when the snow starts melting in the spring, it is just one big lake that is there for about a month