Worth it?

My dad has a 350 in his dump truck with like 40k on it and he was gonna sell it to me for like $300 or something stupid (frame broke on the truck). My question is would it be worth it to take that engine and when I’m ready just throw like a Dart or Edelbrock top end kit on it for $1500? Or save up for a while and get a different engine? I dont really know what I can keep on it or if I’ll have to buy new internals and shit. Its all stock. I believe its a Jasper engine. He got it new like 4-5 years ago. it has maby 10-12k miles of like “heavy” hauling on it. Runs fine though. I’m only asking because he needs to know whats up with it because hes getting rid of the truck in the spring, and I want to make sure it would be worth holding on to.

I was looking at something like this http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_760032_-1

for the fbod? 1800 bucks? thats worth more than the car…you might as well buy an LS1 or LT1 for cheaper or whatever the old C4 one was called

Well Jack sold me the car for an awsome price. The body is in amazing condition (other than a dent in the front left fender), Almost no rust, The subframe and under carriage is in awsome condition, some surface rust ofcourse, but solid as the day it came off the line. Definatly worth the engine, its just a matter of application vs. cost. Hell I may even get that engine for free. My dad owes me a few houndred bucks still. What I’m asking is, is it worth the cost of the top end kit as opposed to like buying everything separate? I would like to be in the mid/low 12s NA. So would that be worth it, or would I be better off saving and getting a better engine? Like I said, the only reason I ask now is becuase of limited time to call dibs on the engine, and he wants to know whats going on so he can get the truck out of there. An LS1 would be nice, but its alot more than 1800 for a decent one lol.

still say LS1 rather than a used truck engine that had the stress of lugging a ton of weight every time it was used

I’d just rock the dump truck.

i would just do an lt1/ls1 swap. but just wait till one of the fbody guys chime in.

+1

repost

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14265&highlight=dump+truck

Wrong! I asked if it would be worth it to slap on a top end kit, not turn it into a 383 :bloated:.

How much would a decent running LS1 cost? and wouldn’t all the wiring be differant or something? I know like absolutly nothing about electrical systems other than very basic trouble shooting. (ie check for bad ground/blown fuse).

after all theses questions sell transmarobird, buy 88 honda civic

what casting is the engine?

I’m not really sure, I’ll check when I get home. I’m at school right now.

If it’s a 4 bolt 350, I would say use it. An LS1 or LT1 swap is going to be far out of your price range. And talk to Mark or Paul (PM Performance) before you buy an parts for it.

what’s your ultimate power goal?

Just buy my whole car for $3500 and save yourself the trouble lol.Its already built for street/strip and I just want out of the game.Everything is freshly rebuilt too.

I would like to be around 400-450 or so at the wheels NA, if I get more, sweet, but around 400+ should suffice for what I want. I want enough that it’s got some gitty up, but not so much that I’m breaking shit all the time. I don’t care about being in 10s and being the fastest guy under the sun, I just want to be semi quick. There is a differance between a track worthy street car and a street worthy race car. My goal is mid-low 12s NA. Thats decent on the street and respectable at the track. I would like to utilize that 350 if I can because it would be a drastic decreas in overall cost, and its already at my house, so its just that much less work. I’ll have to do exhast and shit too ofcourse, but for right now I want to get an idea of if it will work and be practicle for what my goals are before I tell my old man that I definatly want the engine. Especially since I don’t need an engine laying around that I can’t put to use.

I want to do my own build so l can say I did this and can be proud of it. If I lose, oh well, there are always faster cars out there…but beuilding it myself will make me feel that much better when I win. Like I said, I don’t want a full blown race car. I just want something to have some fun in thats semi quick.