Wow, I'm bored... trolling the gas saving forum

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?p=114183

lol

:lol:

Brillant, I wonder how much crazy shit you could get some of these people to pull.

not using radio?

does anyone actually know how much using the radio affects your mpg? I’m starting to think it’s not worth it…

:hang:

That site sucks. Who is that cheap that they’ll make serious lifestyle changes to save $10 a week?

Radios mostly effect FE by using electricity, which usually has to be generated by alternator drag on the engine. So not running the radio can help FE a small amount, by lowering the total electrical power used, and therefore lowering the alternator drag on the engine.

However, (electrical) “power savings” from (not using) a radio are no more (or less) significant (to FE) than any other electrical power savings. And in general, I don’t think the radio uses a large batch of power (especially compared to things like car lights and car fans), unless you are someone that has one of those stereo systems with big (power drawing) sound amplifiers (although how much power a radio uses does vary a lot with radio brand/model, with some using much more power than others). So if you like listening to the radio, I’d say “go for it” and just deal with the very minor FE hit. After all, you will probably get a better FE gain by other electrical savings in the car (such as switching your secondary car lights to energy efficient LED modules, not using the fans when not needed, etc), than you will by not listening to the radio.

Now, one thing that you can do (that seems to help), is to disable any “backlighting” features of the radio you don’t need. For example, my stock CRX radio used to always “light up” whenever my car lights were on (even if/when the radio itself was “off”). Not only did this waste (electrical) power, but I actually found the additional cabin illumination (as a result of the radio’s backlighting) slightly distracting when I was driving at night (i.e. I generally prefer a darker cabin at night, so that my eyesight is more easily focused on the road and the illuminated instrument panel). So what I did was test for (find) the specific wire (leading to the radio) that powers up only if/when I turn my lights on, and cut that one (radio harness) wire (while still leaving the other wires leading to the radio as-is). The result is that now my radio no longer has any “backlighting” (that comes on with my car lights), but the radio still works normally otherwise (including having its display light up when the radio is actually turned on). IMHO that (saved electricity from no lighting up of the radio with the car lights) probably saved more power overall (and therefore more FE), than any attempts to “not turn the radio on” if/when I was in the mood to listen to it. And the only thing I “lost” by that modification, is that my radio no longer lit up when the car lights are on but the radio itself is off. And IMHO that radio “backlighting” was really a “feature” I was more than happy to lose anyway!

I’m surprised someone that stupid was able to maintain a single thought long enough to type all that.

dude you will save like 1 gal of gas in 30 years not working the radio

That’s actually why I posted the not turning to save gas thread lol.

lol the excessive use of “()” is a bit annoying. It pops up every 4-5 words

edit: and correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t see how it would help gas mileage. It’s not like the alternator has a clutch for variable pulley speeds nor does it have, AFAIK, a mechanism to speed the motor up if you’re drawing more from it.

Wouldn’t underdrive pulleys be a lot more significant?

From the “Super high MPG cars we may never see” thread:

Suzuki Twin
Fuel Economy: 80 mpg
Top Speed: 78mph
0-60 mph: 32.1
Horsepower: 44 HP
Drag Coefficient: -
Curb Weight: 1234-1322 lbs
Seating Capacity: 2 adults
Classification: Sub-Compact

God, I hope we never see that. Imagine getting stuck behind it at a red light or have it try to merge in front of you on the highway.

OMG.

Must. Not. Register. And. Flame. :twitch:

lol, just had a mild stroke thinking about it

It’s amazing how far people will go to do something. Silly humans.

I understand that forum…

people who don’t know about cars giving car advice.

L O L ! ! ! !

http://www.gassavers.org/garage/view/1115

click on data graph:
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/1115?

“had to remove lower grille block due to overheating it will be installed again in an abbreviated form”

HAAAAA

ohhh boy

+1

Hypermilers really piss me off.

I have a cell phone pic of my dash when I reset my MPG at a red light and then launched and sprayed on takeoff, with a readout Miles Per Gallon: 0.2.
I really want to register there and put it in my sig. Then talk about how fun it is to waste gas.

lawn edging airdam
rear wheel airdams(lost on highway due to poor install)

ppppppppppppppppppfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

It’s like that Prius forum on elmers glue…