WTB: Decent DD in the $2500 range

Looking for my younger sister - this is her first car so it doesn’t need to be anything special.

I’m thinking civic/accord or something along those lines. Would like it relatively low mileage/maintenance free as I will probably get roped into taking care of it.

Umm, it should probably be an auto, she’s not that good at the regular staying on the road and not hitting stuff part yet.

post up what you got.

inb4 in for newds comment

If you want a 2500 dollar civic, it will have 150K+ on it. Your not going to see anything low mileage/maintenance free for that price. I have been screening craigslist and the paper for a new car for the wife and havent found much under 5 grand with low mileage.

Here is what you can get
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/car/459463696.html

Thats actually not a bad price for a civic, chances are someone bought it already .

I would not count out domestics, everyone has it in their mind that civics/imports last forever so they have high resale values. I would bet a well maintained taurus will last just as long as a maintained Honda accord. Both could last you well into the 200K mileage range and you can pick up the domestic for half as much. There are so many more domestics around here so Supply>Demand.

Fingercuffs is driving now, eh…???

[quote=“POOPRA,post:3,topic:37641"”]

I I would bet a well maintained taurus will last just as long as a maintained Honda accord. Both could last you well into the 200K mileage range and you can pick up the domestic for half as much.

[/quote]

could a taurus run to 200k yes, will you replace 5 trannys yes, and its going to cost you way more in the long run.

Stop hanging out with Xander he is brain washing you

I would take a accord that has not been well maintained over a very well maintained taurus anyday

[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:5,topic:37641"”]

could a taurus run to 200k yes, will you replace 5 trannys yes, and its going to cost you way more in the long run.

I would take a accord that has not been well maintained over a very well maintained taurus anyday

[/quote]

agreed.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/car/457556046.html

I am not limited to a civic/accord… just that is the type of car im looking for.

does she want a civic with a 4 year old dead bug on the rear deck?

[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:5,topic:37641"”]

[/quote]

My parents had a 99 accord with 150K plus, the trunk would not open, the gas lines were leaking, the clutch was toast, the transmission would pop out of gear and still got a good buck when they sold it. Good if your the seller, bad if your buyer.

Sure I rather have a accord than a taurus, but the price difference for comparable cars is not worth it when buying used in this area.

Even if something goes wrong, domestic is always going to be cheaper to fix and maintain. I think domestics have caught up to imports in the reliablity market in recent years, but some people like my parents would never buy a domestic again because of problems with older cars. Of course there are exceptions, but all you have to do is a little research on the net to find out whats good and whats not.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ford-makes-big-reliability-strides/story.aspx?guid={F80F2CFE-E731-4C65-ADEF-5B6413702B84}

^ As far as the clutch and tranny going I think that its the drivers fault more than anything.

Domestics are not cheaper to fix always. You have to remember this is a honda accord we are talking about here not some rare audi. There are so many accords on the roads parts are dirt cheap.

Gas milage on a 4cyl. accord is much better than a taurus.

The article has no relevance here since we are not comparing new Chino is looking to buy a car for $2,500

[quote=“93dx–hatch,post:11,topic:37641"”]

^ As far as the clutch and tranny going I think that its the drivers fault more than anything.

Domestics are not cheaper to fix always. You have to remember this is a honda accord we are talking about here not some rare audi. There are so many accords on the roads parts are dirt cheap.

Gas milage on a 4cyl. accord is much better than a taurus.

The article has no relevance here since we are not comparing new Chino is looking to buy a car for $2,500

[/quote]

The car was maintained well and not driven hard so I wouldnt expect the tranny to go.

Thats not the point though, the car still commanded a premium price because of the perception of the allmighty honda reliablity. In reality the car was ready to be junked. Futher emphasizing the point that Hondas are not the best value when buying used.

I wasnt saying parts were priced at a premium for a accord, but domestic parts should be cheaper.

Gas mileage for a accord v6 and a taurus is pretty much the same.

The article is relevant because it states that fords quality has improved and toyotas has not.

I bought my 2001 Ford Focus with 100k for 3grand. Ive had it for over a year now and not a single problem. American resale rocks.

Worth a shot

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37853

92 legacy turbo? :smiley:
I’ll take 2.