WTB: Mac airport card

OK, I think this is what I need. First off, I know pretty much nothing about my computer except how to use it. Computer lingo makes my head spin. My Dell finally shit the bed, and ended up like the fax machine in Office Space. I inherited an eMac, which has been nothing but a nightmare to use on the internet. We have Fios. I have a wireless USB adapter, which constantly needs to unplugged and plugged back in, and causes my internet to slow to a crawl, making me really pissed, and then it dies altogether. Unplug, plug in, restart… I was told I need an airport card. I don’t want to spend a ton on a brand new one, because I don’t know if it will fix the problem, and I’m buying a brand new PC if it doesn’t work. eBay is out, because I have serious work to do on this computer, and I need something tomorrow. So does anyone have one? Any advice for a total computer idiot such as myself would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:lol:

Yea, i had one of those usb wireless adaptors that i had to keep plugging in and whatnot… it did it on my macs and pcs, so… i guess it was just a POS…

The airport cards are like $35 new from apple on sale, so that would be your best bet, except i dont know what kind your iMac would take, or if they have one that work work with that… And no, you dont need a apple wireless adaptor, any one made for a mac would work just fine, the one you have is just likely a POS…

Eh. i dont think i helped you… lol

I’ve never tried a USB ethernet/wireless device but I hear they’re kind of unreliable. I have a few 802.11b Airport cards. B is the slower, older wireless standard but it’s fine for anything unless you’re transferring big files around a local network. All airport cards fit the same slot (not sure what it’s called) so it will definitely work in your eMac.

You can have it for whatever the going rate is for them used and if you want it later tonight I get out of work @ 11.

Thanks for the advice, glad it’s not just me that had this problem. I just spend a lot of time on the web, nothing special. (eBay related mostly). Pm sent.

just get one cheap on ebay or anywhere else. if i’m not mistaken your emac is basically a newer version of an old school imac and i bought one for like 30 bucks new for my old imac.

If you need an Airport card, good luck finding one. eBay is your friend. I believe the eMac used them.

The Airport Extreme is the newer card and won’t work with your system.

My work, UBMicro has a USB wireless that is said to work with Mac. There aren’t many companies that make a USB wireless for a Mac.

I’d get one on eBay, but it’s best for my computer that I get one quick.:wink: I have a short fuse. I spent 2 hours tonight on a broken laptop that blinds me because the screen is fucked, because this computer couldn’t handle Auctiva. Thanks for the advice everyone, I might get one from Matt Danger.