WTT: 1996 Trans Am

Make/Model: Pontiac Trans Am
Asking Price: $5500 (OBO) / Trade
Condition: Used
Mileage: 215KM body, 150ish Engine
Contact Info: Send PM or cbwmrk at gmail.com
Description:

Alright, so this is a '96 Pontiac Trans Am with a 5.7L LT1 in it.

Interior: Leather interior, power seats, CD player. Small tear on the side of the driver side seat…pretty typical of these cars with any more than 3 days of use. The seats are in very good shape other than that. The seats have some sort of electric lumber adjustment and bolster adjustment, if thats what you call it.

Exterior: Silver, some minor blemishes here and there which you’ll probably see in the pictures. If you want more details I can list them off (just a couple of small things, don’t worry). The stock hood has been taken off and a Fiberglass Ram Air/WS6 hood has been put on for added awesomeness. The car has no rust that I’ve seen. These cars don’t rust often since they’re 90% plastic. I forgot to mention, the windows also have some tint done to them.

Power (The Important Stuff): The engine is a 5.7L LT1 that was used in the Camaros/Firebirds/Corvettes in the early-to-late 90s. Stock the car put down about 285HP, but that should be a little higher from a few bolt-ons. The engine was replaced this summer after my headgaskets went on the last engine combined with some questionable work from a repair place I took it to (ran the car with bad HGs through half of a tank of gas…makes sense. Needless to say I never went back there). The engine swap was done by a GM dealer (cost me an arm, both legs, and I’m still working on the 2 children I owe them), so it shouldn’t be a hack-up job and everything should be put together right. The engine was bought from a wreckers with 90 days of warranty which just finished not that long ago. I have a spare transmission/torque converter that I can throw in to make the deal a little better, as long as I feel I’m getting a decent deal.

Modifications: An Adjustable Borla exhaust has been put on the car, which is supposed to be one of the better sounding exhausts for it. There is also a K&N intake on it with a filter that was changed when the engine was, a 160 degree thermostat to keep things a little cooler, and an Edelbrock Torque Arm to get the power to the ground a little better. The car has been lowered using Eibach Pro-kit springs, and I have the stock ones. It also has a throttle body bypass done to it. Here are some online dyno results from some of the mods I did (I know, super scientific, but it should give you an idea of what they did/didn’t do.)

Borla Exhaust: http://www.ws6.com/mod-5.htm 10.4 Horsepower/ 7.4 ft/lbs of torque
Throttle body bypass: http://www.ws6.com/mod-8.htm 6.3 Horsepower/ 7.1 ft/lbs torque
160 Thermostat: http://www.ws6.com/mod-3.htm 5.6 HP/ 7.0 ft.lbs torque <–Also included the fairly useless Hypertech Power Programmer.

Reason for Selling: Holy crap, domestics on a 240sx forums. Anyways, when I bought the car originally I wasn’t planning on having to swap out an engine, and then get laid off from my job, and then have to go back to school <_<. So, I’m looking to trade. Direct trade, trade with cash, etc…doesn’t matter. I don’t particularly want to get rid of the car, but I haven’t had the best of luck. I’m posting on a 240sx forum because I’ve been lurking here for quite a while and I’m a bit of a 240 fan, so I figured I’d see if anyone wanted to trade. I know a pretty big Nissan guy from work, and he has been suggesting to get one of these (has a GT-R, used to have an SR 240)

Trade For: I’m not looking for anything in particular, just something in decent shape, obviously a 240sx of some sort (if you have something else, feel free to let me know, maybe I’ll like it o_O). Would prefer a hatch, but, they’re all fairly nice looking cars. Doesn’t need to be of equal value, we can work something out.

Needs?: I don’t think the car needs anything. The e-test was just done in July, so it won’t need that. There was a safety done on it around July too, and the car had been immobile for about half the time since then thanks to the engine needing to be swapped out, so everything should be ok. At worst, it might need front brakes, the backs were replaced when the safety was done. The tires are getting a little low, but you’d be crazy to not put some really wide rims on this for better traction, so you’re going to need new tires anyways. I can’t think of anything else, mechanically the car is in very good shape. The LT1 is known to last pretty much forever…my family had another Trans Am a while ago and it had a little over 250,000 miles. Miles, not kilometers. Probably one of the few good things GM came up with in the 90s <_<.

Pictures: This thread is useless without pictures! Edit: New Pictures!

A picture I took last week after the sunfire comment. Shows the car’s profile a bit better, so it still has a little bit of ice on it. Apparently a leaf on the fender as well.
http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9528/img1538yf8.jpg

The money shot - The engine. As you can see, everything is in pretty good shape, except the hunk of snow that fell down as I was taking the picture.
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/584/img1540ls0.jpg

Front end shot, had to black out the plates =/
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6162/img1526noplatehu8.jpg

Butt shot
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2725/img1529noplateop4.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1916/img1530sc9.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3938/img1528oz7.jpg

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8028/img1527nu2.jpg

I make no claims to be good with a camera. Also, these cars photograph horribly…I don’t know why, they just look so much better in person =/.

I’ll try and get an actual exhaust clip other than the youtube videos of the exhaust on other people’s cars if anyone is interested.

The car is an auto, but it is quicker than the 6-speed Camaros I and other friends have owned. I have a video of my old camaro doing a bit of a burnout, but not this one x_x

looks like a Sunfire on steoroids.

Heh, I suppose a little bit. Like I said, it photographs kind of strange. Dimensions are a lot different than a Sunfire, plus it doesn’t sound like most Sunfires I’ve heard :confused:

This is more or less what it should sound like:

Nice car, looks bad ass. I bet it sounds amazing. Is it a manual?

Negative on the manual. Autos are faster for a 1/4 mile situation in these cars. I’m pretty sure the autos haven’t been messed around with much in the 240s, but lots of guys will start doing M6->A4 swaps to get better 1/4 mile times in the Camaros/Trans Ams. A higher stall torque converter and a shift kit, and you’re gold.

Realistically, this car has a ton of potential. With ported heads, decent cam, and a dyno tune, it should put out pretty good power and shouldn’t have an issue getting into the 11s. That being said, that costs money…something I don’t have at the moment. Trust me, I’m not making any money off this car =(.

Thanks for the compliment too.

Updated with some more information and a bunch of different pictures. There were a few angles I didn’t get in last time that I should have, like the rear and such.

Anyways, check it out.

Bro, I’m a fellow Trans Am fan
love the muscle and power of a V8…
Quarter Mile wise, these cars are like the 240s/Truenos of driftin.

I was gonna pick one up, but gas wise it doesn’t work for
me with part time work and full time school:S
but good luck with the sale, I know the potential of a 350 short block!

*Looking @ either a Trans Am GTA 89 - 91
or a LS1 Trans Am WS6 98-01 maybe in the future
or drop the LS1 in a 240Z :stuck_out_tongue:

Good to see another fan. These are definitely solid cars, but I’m in a very similar situation to you. Even as a track car these cars can be set up very well, they just need a few suspension mods (what car doesn’t?). Its not bad on gas as long as you don’t hammer on it.

If I were you I’d stay away from the Pre-94 cars. The L98 (I think its called, basically the engine before the LT1) has a lot of power off the hop, but up high it is apparently pretty gutless. Pretty kick ass looking engine though =/. The LS1 is pretty expensive, but if a higher budget isn’t an issue, it is a beastly engine. They cost about twice as much as an LT1, sometimes more. The LT1 I find is a good sweet spot for cost : performance, as there is still a huge aftermarket and huge power potential. There is a guy in Windsor with a 9 second LT1 as a daily.

I told my Nissan friend who wants a 240Z to put a LS1/LT1 into it and he nearly kicked me in the teeth :mrgreen:. Would be a nice swap IMO. Every car should have the LS1 as an optional extra.

I love the look of the Trans Am WS6 and the older Trans Ams of the 60’s - 70’s,

it’s funny though because many of the drag cars are N/A
just pure power from the block, I’d like to see more boosted V8’s…the power! :smiley:

haha, about the 240Z…usually guys want boost on their 4 & 6’s in those cars but many hot rodders swap in V8’s with much success, I don’t know if you’ve seen the 240Z with the corvette V8 swap on youtube…dam thing is wanting to go sideways while flooring it on the street :stuck_out_tongue:

There are a good chunk of guys that are boosting their LS1/LT1s with pretty good success. The problem is that with a few mods, there is plenty of power already from a N/A engine (400-600, depending on what you do, can get up to 850ish if you need an N/A engine with massive power). So boosting is left to the guys with the need for 850+ horsepower. I went to a 'vette show in Carlisle and saw a few turbo’d vettes, and there have been a few instances of Lingenfelter 427TTs in magazines and such. One C5 was in Motor Trend in a “vette vs jet” shootout where the cali-legal vette did a sub 2 second 0-60, and this isn’t the most powerful TT vette I’ve seen, so I imagine there is faster out there.

I saw a Turbocharged LS1 240sx a while ago. The turbo was one of the retardedly large Supra-ish turbos that was as big as the engine. I’ve seen a LT1-TT 240z on youtube.

dam…

I’m going to go lookup that Turbo’d LS1 in the 240sx,
& yes, I’ve heard of the Lingenfelter, they’re the top
of the pack of the Vette’s…very deadly, very fast!

Alright, time for the weekly bump.

Not too much more to add I don’t think. Like I said in the first post, trades don’t need to be of equal value, as long as I’m happy with what I’m getting. Shoot me a PM, the worst I can do is say no, I’m fairly flexible.

I take picture requests too (of the car, not me :confused:)

Sent PM

I suppose I’ll give this the weekly bump. I’ve got a pending offer on it, but nothing has really been worked out yet. The car is currently packed into my garage, safe from the elements :confused:

I see you are from st thomas. Do you by any chance work at Sterling? If so i have scene this car on my way to and from work as I used to work and live in st. Thomas, and it looks amazing. Good luck with the sale.

Also, Just out of cuiosity, who else in st thomas has a 240 with an sr20??

Negative, I worked at Formet, which is just by sterling. You’ve more than likely seen the car since I’ve seen yours while in my car :rolleyes:. Anyways, thanks for the compliments, and your car is/was quite a machine as well, was checking it out more than a few times =o.

The guy had an SR’d 240sx, but he sold it in oder to raise money to get a Skyline. You’ve probably seen it, its Silver, and has white rims. The 240sx that he had was a black hatch with a Silvia front on it.

I have never seen the skyline, my buddy has told me about it though. I havent seen the black 240 with the silvia front end for a while and kinda wondered about what happened to it. Anyways good luck with the sale and im sure i Will see you around sometime.

Corey

Bump this up I suppose. Snow is going to be gone soon ^_^. Open to half assed offers, I might be generous since I could use the money. I’d prefer a car with some money on top, it doesn’t really matter how good the car is since I hardly need one. I dropped the price a little too, but I’ll still go lower so make offers.

Bump for the 'bird. Apparently I need a bunch of monies come the end of the month, so if someone wants to make a low offer, now is the time to do it. Great car here, lots of potential. Been getting a good chunk of calls lately about it too =o.

so just wondering …you would take a stock 92 Hatch LE? with 300+ K on body and 200k on engine , i had all the rust fixed 2 5 speed
red in color