Xgates IMAX

for those of you who havent been to IMAX yet at Xgates and are paying a huge premium to see it, you arent going to get what you are expecting. ive already seen a couple movie there and i get irritated each time i go.

IMAX makes no clear distinction between a real IMAX (average is 72ft wide by 53 feet tall) and the dinky 50x26’ screen in Xgates. thats because they have a format called “IMAX digital” which is what you are actually viewing. just means they are using a 2k digital christie projector vs Colonie Centers projectors which i beleive are 4k, but dont quote me on that, they might only be 2k. what this means is you are getting a resolution of 2048×1080(2k), vs 12000x8700 on the real IMAX, and 4096x2048 on a 4k digital system.

you are pretty much paying IMAX prices for Colonie center digital quality or worse and maybe a 5 foot larger screen, if that. also keep in mind colonie center had 13 digital projectors the day it opened and they took back 11 of them to give to other theatres, for one day it had all digital projectors but now only 2, but they do show which are digital and which arent though.

IMAX does seem to have the best sound though ill give it that.

Thanks for putting down my hard work. I build that IMAX theater with my bare hands.

Your feelings are irrelevant to my review

Well thanks for the review. I’ve never been and now thanks to you, I will not be going. How much do they get for a ticket there?

i think its $15, it was alright, may go again

Damn thats alot for a movie.

reg movie is 10.75 in the evening

I havent been to one in a few years. I dont even remember the last time I rented one either.

Im pretty sure all of colonies projectors are still digital, crossgates has 2-3…

Palisades Mall Imax in west nyack > ANY crappy theater up here.

GF works at the regal in CPmall part time… (free movies FTW!)… this is the 4th year and weve been at ALOT of theaters … nothing is as good as P.Mall Imax

Only thing i like about colonie is the seats.
Armrests fold up / more comfortable.

Xgates… Imax is ALWAYS sold out… and if there not they have crap times. Regular movies they are ok if you see them in theature 1-4 down stairs and the first 5 up stairs… the last theaters are always for the movies that are old/slow. so the sound system is OK but not as good as the ones up front.

CP mall… the seats in theature 3 and thats the only good thing… (left overs from colonie)

No they aren’t. Go to fandango.com and it says Which movies are in digital right now both theatres are showing avatar. I talked to someone that worked there and he told me about how they took most the projectors out after te opening.

im not a tight wad. All the ovies i have watched at Crossgates in Imax were worthe the $15-17. Will go again and again.

The day paying $30 for my girlfriend and I to go see a movie concerns me is the day I kill myself

i can charge you 500 bucks if it makes you feel special to come watch it on my 42" tv. ill call it IMAX too if you want. my point isnt that its high price, but that you arent really watching IMAX. hence i still go to the IMAX showings because it is better but i know the difference. there are many people that have never even been to an IMAX before xgates, and they advertise this as an IMAX without mention that it is not an IMAX format, not filmed on IMAX reels, not even close to the real IMAX experience, but it cost the same as a ticket at a real IMAX theatre.

Sounds like BS. I went to a REAL IMAX in Myrtle Beach and watched some gay ass movie about outer space. Shit was sick. And Mike… you just wanted to brag about your TV.

Yea and his pool and his garages and his trampoline

50" is where its at

thanks for the review, how’d you enjoy your overall movie experiance?

who brags about a 42" tv?

mikefromsynapse

its definately a quality screen, like i said the audio is top knotch. def worth the 15 bucks a ticket, but i knew what i was paying for. ill be taking the same 15 bucks out to boston now though and see the movies on a real IMAX screen.

have you ever even bought a movie ticket pete?