You have $1800-$2000 to spend ...

:picard:

Did you bother reading any of this thread? If your voltages arent beyond spec and your temps are low your life span of the cpu is not sacraficed. Im willing to bet my cpu on overclock runs cooler than most of the users who slap on that shitty intel HS. On the other hand, if you dont know what you are doing, and you are pushing the CPU far beyond its ability (aka cranking voltages up to the 1.45-1.5 range just for a few extra mhz - the extreme overclockers trying to break 3d mark records) then yes, the life span is going to get cut short. But for the people that do that, they dont care about life span as they will upgrade in 2 months anyway.

Just because your temps are lower doesn’t mean it will last longer. Sounds great in theory tho!

+1

you gaming nerds really have 1 track minds

sadly, thats not what I said. Temps AND voltages. Thats really all that matters for the life span of a cpu. You people who just dont know how to do it, really have 1 track minds.

example) my current chip without changing a single voltage (an i7 920 at 2.66ghz) was able to get bumped up to 3.2ghz stable without touching a single voltage setting. Temps went up 1-2c from stock 2.66 settings.

So you are telling me if I leave it at 3.2, my chip will die sooner than at 2.66? Doubtful.

Anytime you push something harder than it was made for it is going degrade the lifespan. Not only is your CPU going to die quicker, but your RAM and mobo will as well. Congrats!

lol. You guys actually think that a good clean OC is going to shorten the lifespan of a CPU?

We’re talking about electronics here. Metal… silicon… things like that. This isn’t an athlete on a treadmill or a car with a supercharger. What is a wear item in a CPU? A CPU is not a wear item. You know what happens 99% of the time? Someone cooks the CPU trying to overclock it. Thus ending its life. OR The cooling fails in which case a non overclocked CPU would also die.

Jim, I’ll try to relate it to something you could possibly know something about. Cars. Say, for example, that stock Subaru Legacy GT that was on the dyno. Stock tune was fat and slow. Now say that all they did was fix the tune. Clean it up. Your theory may apply to the wear items on the vehicle, but that is because a car has wear items. By tuning a CPU to perform within its physical boundaries you’re not asking for much. I work with a guy who was on several of Intel’s projects before and during the P4 and I’ve had lengthy conversations with him about a lot of this stuff. He is pretty much an expert on this stuff. He says pretty much the same thing. If you do it right, it will run froever.

I’ve personally never lost a single computer component to wear and tear. I’ve actually only replaced or upgraded based on the fact that the thing was outdated. I still have 15yr old computers that will boot right up (in about 5 minutes). Some of them were fucked hard and put away wet, but they still run.

Im glad somebody else with knowledge on the subject came to the rescue. I was waiting for all the other people who dont know how to OC and use that as rationalization as to why its so bad for it to come in and be like, YA JIM +1 +1 +1!!! STUPID NERDS!

Ive also got a 3ghz p4 overclocked to 4ghz that my brother uses. Hes only been using it for nearly 5 years…Must be just about ready to shit the bed.

Djs, I think people are misunderstanding you and jack you did a nice job in trying to clear things up. While I am against OC, it is only due to my lack of knowledge and I knowing I would end up spending more in good cooling and frying chips then just buying what I want. I cannot see how the life of it would be shortened if you can watch all those temps/volt and keep them within stock tolerances.

Maybe were comparing apples and oranges though, I spent a grand total of 600 dollars on my rig, and I thought that was expensive. For the price I got a 10krpm drive, quad core, and 9800gt. As I said enough to game care free, but still keep decent fps with good settings

Im just trying to put it nicely while covering all the grounds. I dont argue things unless I am 99% sure I am right. And that goes back to one of my other points. People who say its a bad thing and whatnot, generally, just do not know how to do it. Its really not difficult, and you wont set it on fire unless you go WAY overboard. Most processors shut themselves down if it gets too hot. Thats why everybody suggests overclocking in small increments (5mhz at a time. maybe a bit more) to ensure that you dont burn it out. And that p4 I mentioned above was my first ever overclock and its still going strong/stable. All it takes is reading a few tutorials, having a mobo that will actually support OCing and knowing the basics (better HS/Fan and better TIM) and anybody can do it.

And again, im not saying you guys are dumb for not doing it. Some people just dont give a shit about the extra 25-50% boost in speed. But if you want the best gaming/computing, a good overclock cant hurt the experience. Im just trying to say thats its not really as bad as everybody thinks.

Overclocking a CPU in terms of its clock frequency only has very, very little effect on its lifespan, if any.

However, Intel does specify the lifespan of a CPU and they do fail in time. If you have it in a server environment where it will be loaded at 100% duty for years continuously, they can sometimes fail prematurely.

The only real thing you need to worry about is the motherboard failing, as that is fairly common when pushing things to the extreme, but its usually due to components on it that have poor or passive cooling on them overheating, or suffering from punch through from elevated voltages.

CPU’s do theoretically ‘wear’, and they do fail. But with a i7 920, you can very very safely run them at 3.2 or even sometimes 3.4 GHZ at the stock voltages, or under. This will keep the CPU’s temps about the same, if not lower than what they would be stock, improve performance, and possibly reduce power consumption.

I would NOT recommend running a i7 920 at 4GHZ daily, as it puts unneeded stress on the components in the system. But most of my computers are on 24/7 and running at 100% CPU load. If you have the thing on a hour or two a few times a week, this is not a concern for you really at all.

But regardless, CPU’s do fail, especially when in the hands of a unexperienced overclocker. Its easy to push a CPU hard, but the performance gains arent generally justified in any way.

My brothers i7 920 is on the stock cooler with HT off at 1.002 Vcore under load, measured at the chip and running at 150x20. Its been running at 100% CPU load for about two weeks now, and the temps are about 16ºC lower than stock, and it takes 18 less watts than stock as well, yet can perform more operations per second.

Some very very moderate overlock like that is more or less optimizing your individual chip. Intel gives the chip massive overhead on the voltage, so every one is going to be stable at stock clocks. Thats why you can run them at 3.2 or higher on the stock voltages. So I believe everyone who cares about the performance of their machine should take the time to properly configure thier system for maximum performance. If you dont care to do this, you shouldn’t be making your own computer.

So this thread went a little OT, jack I hope you dont mind.

Why doesnt intel just have them come out of the factory at 3.2 rather than 2.66 if they have the overhead, are stable, and run BETTER at those clocks?

Not every chip is going to run at those speeds. And they do, the higher binned i7’s are just sold at higher stock clocks and for more money. The chip itself is all the same. Theyre just ones that have less ‘underperforming’ transistors. There is hundreds of millions of transistors in a processor, so when you make them, There exist ones that just dont quite perform as well as others.
Also, there is no need for intel to improve performance relative to AMD. The AMD processors are inferior so Intel can sit back and do nothing to the current lineup. If AMD was killing Intel, they would just start running them at higher clocks and come back.

Lower frequencies result in less problems for Intel in the long run.

what is everyone’s CPU temps at?

Between my 4 cores I’m running around an average of 38°C

<EDIT>

Used the following to get info:

Hardware monitor

ACPI hardware monitor
Temperature sensor 0 21°C (69°F) [0xB7E] (THRM)

Hardware monitor

Intel Core i7 920 hardware monitor
Temperature sensor 0 37°C (98°F) [0x3F] (Core #0)
Temperature sensor 1 31°C (87°F) [0x45] (Core #1)
Temperature sensor 2 37°C (98°F) [0x3F] (Core #2)
Temperature sensor 3 30°C (86°F) [0x46] (Core #3)

GeForce GTX 295 hardware monitor
Temperature sensor 0 44°C (111°F) [0x2C] (GPU Core)
Dump hardware monitor

GeForce GTX 295 hardware monitor
Temperature sensor 0 45°C (113°F) [0x2D] (GPU Core)

Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 hardware monitor
Temperature sensor 0 27°C (80°F) [0x1B] (HDD)

The GTX 295 shows up twice because there are 2 GPUs. These are the stock settings, and as you can see there is plenty of room for improvement. This computer has been on since this morning in a 70* room.

EDIT - I think that first temp is ambient in the room. Not sure how it is getting that… but it seems like it might be.

Hardware monitor

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 44°C (111°F) [0x38] (Core #0)
Temperature sensor 1 37°C (98°F) [0x3F] (Core #1)
Temperature sensor 2 30°C (85°F) [0x46] (Core #2)
Temperature sensor 3 41°C (105°F) [0x3B] (Core #3)

Dump hardware monitor

Hardware monitor

GeForce 8600 GT hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0 43°C (109°F) [0x2B] (GPU Core)

Dump hardware monitor

I’m surprised that 8600 GT runs that hot.

jim@jim-desktop:~$ sensors
asb100-i2c-1-2d
Adapter: SMBus nForce2 adapter at 5500
VCore 1: +1.66 V (min = +1.31 V, max = +1.97 V)
+3.3V: +3.28 V (min = +2.96 V, max = +3.63 V)
+5V: +4.92 V (min = +4.49 V, max = +5.51 V)
+12V: +11.67 V (min = +9.55 V, max = +14.41 V)
-12V (reserved): -12.20 V (min = -0.00 V, max = -0.00 V)
-5V (reserved): -5.12 V (min = -0.00 V, max = -0.00 V)
CPU Fan: 10714 RPM (min = -1 RPM, div = 2)
Chassis Fan: 0 RPM (min = -1 RPM, div = 8)
Power Fan: 3729 RPM (min = -1 RPM, div = 2)
M/B Temp: +41.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)
CPU Temp (Intel): +25.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)
Power Temp: +127.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)
CPU Temp (AMD): +25.0°C (high = +80.0°C, hyst = +75.0°C)
cpu0_vid: +1.650 V

w83l785ts-i2c-1-2e
Adapter: SMBus nForce2 adapter at 5500
CPU Diode: +37.0°C (high = +110.0°C)

It’s a halfway decent card…it does it’s job.

core 1 - 44c
core 2 - 42c
core 3 - 42c
core 4 - 41c

Those temps are with an i7 920 at 4.2ghz, 200QPI w/ turbo at 1.31875 vcore and +225 mv vtt.

my room temp is about 70-75 right now…comps been running for a couple hours. On boot its usually mid-high 30s until it takes over and starts to heat my room. Ive still got plans to lap this cpu HS. Should expect a few C’s less if done right.

I’m @ 3.35GHz now, and on prime I only climbed to 65… but I’m using the dummy OC right now, and I know I can do a lot better.