You just cant tell some people lol...

It’s not all about the rider, bike is a major factor in the equation. Why would somebody want a fast bike if he wasn’t going to ride it fast?

Being an asshole is an entirely different argument. We are talking about difficult to operate bikes vs not.

If you’re upgrading after you’re “bored” on a 250 obviously turns aren’t your concern and a straight line speed is. Another good reason for somebody to not have a fast bike as a learners bike.

It’s not just their ago, it’s lack of experience in operating the machine they are on, evasive maneuvers, not knowing how low the bike can go after entering fast into a turn and crashing by going wide etc…

[quote=GenPatton;968097]Problem with learning on a bigger bike is they don’t accept mistakes as generously as smaller bikes. If you twist the throttle a bit too much on a 600, well … good luck with that.

If you twist the throttle too much on a 250 … Hey look, I’m keeping up with a Prius! (over exaggerating, but you get my point)

It’s not just twisting the throttle, it’s all about clutch control, rolling on the throttle in a turn, braking…etc

I learned on a literbike! lol That was an experience. Wheelied a few times unexpectedly. I was lucky to learn riding well on it, and not die. Got a 600cc, and loved the experience. Rode a 250cc during the Motorcycle Training Course and LOVED it. Then it’s been back and forth between literbikes and supersports.

Let the guy make his own mistakes, but, not many people can ride a 250cc to its limits. I know I can’t. I recommend 250 Ninjas or CBRs to people all the time. They are really great learner bikes, and still fun to ride. Just twist the throttle and have a blast.[/quote]

Exactly.

250 won’t go 150mph no matter how much your wrist can try…

It’s not just the throttle you have to worry about, even though that alone can get you in trouble quick. It’s the unforgiving brakes and the stiff suspension which is made for flat tracks not real life world roads with cracks and bumps. I’ve had a friend crash at 35 mph on Wash ave and slide into a car requiring a pin connecting his leg just because of a crack in the road (600RR) and another that nearly lost it on last weekend ride on a 675 when a crack made him go off road.

This is what happens when you mash you brakes with no experience (also this Sunday)

Hard to tell but lever broken, clutch cover, mirror, blinker gone and fairings scratched up etc.

Don't forget that failvis went down in a panic stop as well and crashed his bike.

http://shift518.com/showthread.php?t=171&highlight=lamp

i hit the rear brake and grab the front brake and the bike proceeds to flip, ejecting me off the front. i landed helmet first and the bike lands on top of me sliding to a stop just before the car.
The problem isn’t the 99% of riding, it’s that 1% when you run out of skill and can’t handle your car.

Think about it, inexperienced CAR drivers aren’t the problem on nice sunny days, they are a problem when they need to panic stop/avoid the accident or on the first snowfall…

Anywho, getting back to your friend you won’t make him change his mind and the reason why is very simple.

He doesn’t want to ride, he wants to have a bike, and he’s got a very specific bike in mind - supersport of sorts. You telling him he can be a better rider on a smaller bike doesn’t register because then there is no point because what he wants is a bike.

On a final note, to anybody arguing against small bikes your point is moot. You are never worse off learning or even having a small bike and there is plenty of evidence that it’s more dangerous to learn on a race bread machine (go figure) :ponder