2024 Snowpocalypse Thread

Getting pounded all day…

West Seneca has this?!??

20240114_182741

1 Like

That’s awesome lol

1 Like

That’s those west senica taxes at work. What a waste of money.

Is it a waste though? Seems like a very good recovery vehicle for anyone trapped.

Yeah, after the blizzard one of the big things all the studies and reports showed was a need for emergency response vehicles capable of driving during huge snow events. This seems like a good solution. The kits are only like $25k, which is nothing compared to say a PistonBully snowcat.

They were supposed to get agreements in place with the local snowmobile clubs for access to their snowcat groomers but last I heard there were problems reaching agreements on liability waivers and damage protections.

I mean this truck ain’t going anywhere a standard military truck can’t. A surplus M1078 is like $50k.

I guess a normal Silverado could be used as a service truck during non winter months if they have a garage that can swap the tracks out for the season.

A buddy of mine just told me they have a few side by sides with tracks too.

Tonawanda used this monstrosity to help with the major snowfall a while back.
Who know ToT had such a problem with gangs and bank robbers to actually justify militarization.

1 Like

Moar through Thursday

Wish I still had my three wheelers

Wish I still had my snowmobile. Tough to justify keeping it just to rip around during freak storms though. Not like the trails around here are open for more than a couple weeks anymore.

Williamsville sent the text around 1pm that school was canceled for tomorrow (Wednesday).

WIVB’s predictions through Thursday night…

Yep, we found out we’re off tomorrow around 1:30pm, Supers all had a meeting at noon with each other.

Had my daughter’s 1 year doctors appt at OP Pediatrics today, grabbed dinner at the Byrd House and hit Wegmans before heading back home. Roads easily had 2-3" on them after maybe 45 minutes of heavy snow, most untouched by a plow and it took me about 45 minutes to get back home just outside EA.

There was a cop in front of me on 20a heading out of East Aurora and the truck in front of him was driving on the wrong side of the road and kept turning off his headlights. Very strange, not sure if he was trying to find his high beams? I think he pulled out of Rookies, right in front of the cop, so that was an easy pullover I would imagine…

So we’re not doing driving bans in the city. Besides the wind, I wonder what changed from the last storm.

Hopefully he’s getting a lot of pushback because the bans for the last storm were ridiculous. There was no point where the roads were impassable in Amherst yet we had a travel ban from 9pm Saturday until 3pm Sunday. It stopped snowing by 10am Sunday and even my last to be done super side street was clear by 11. Snowy? Sure. Would you get stuck on bald all season? Yep. However unlike the blizzard last year when my snow tire equipped SUV couldn’t push the snow in my street more than a few feet (yes, I tried it for fun) last weekend there were just regular FWD cars driving down my unplowed street.

County wide bans need to be reserved for the absolute worst storms, especially when you’re going to implement them before even a few inches of snow have fallen. So far I think this one is being handled a lot better. Encourage anyone that can work remote to do so, but don’t force everyone who can’t to shut down.

1 Like

Someone needs to take that fucking emergency alert power away from Poloncarz.

I get to sleep in once every fucking blue moon and that damn thing woke me up.

Is it world war three? No. It’s snowing out.

At least tether it’s use to a tazer on his balls. Then he’d think long and hard about if it was truly an emergency worthy of using it.

I mean come on. It’s snowing exactly when and where they told us it was going to snow for the past 36 hours. It’s not like the band went completely the opposite direction of where they said and was about to slam say Springville, where they were expecting sunny skies today. I could see using the alert then.

Had to take city streets home from work this afternoon. Drove down Union through West Seneca. Old man winter shoved it in and broke it the fuck off! They got POUNDED.

Meanwhile Amherst is under some kind of anti-snow dome. The band passed right over us this morning only dropping about 3-4". Then as it started shifting south around 2pm it just kinda fell apart. In the last hour a 2nd band developed north of us and is working it’s way south so maybe we’ll finally get some of what they predicted? Watching it move though it’s heading south fast so unless it changes drastically it’s still going to only be over us for about 45 minutes max.

i had my M3 out on summer tires all day yesterday… lake effect be craaazy. roads are clear and just a dusting on the ground otherwise.

1 Like