Acid dipping (not a shell)

Hey,

I’ve got a question about removing surface rust from a metal part.
The part in question is a sending unit. My old one was all rusted up and crap, and the o-ring was gone; I am replacing it with another used one.

Getting at those 6 bolts was a bit of a pain because of surface rust buildup, and the new sending unit has it’s share aswell.

I was curious if it’s possible to dip the sending unit and it’s bolts in some sort of acidic liquid to remove surface rust? And also if this would be applicable to other parts, as most 240 parts are rusted to hell, beit just surface rust it is annoying.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

just have it sandblasted its alot easier to find a place to do that. also jsut buy new bolts u cheap ass haha, those things are crap

I meant is there some kind of home rememdy/DIY to do something like this.

Vinegar? It’ll take a few days, but it’s essentially a weak acid dip… And yes. I’m being serious. Ever put a penny in vinegar?

I heard Coke works. But that might just be a myth.

Or this.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/456478/rust_removal_tip

go to your local TSC or whatever and find a thing called muriatic acid…its in a big plastic container and also wrapped in a plastic bag…shit is strong as shit so be careful when usin it…it will pretty much dissolve all the rust

thought id add a bit more here…i suggest buying a mask…this shit is potent…and about 10$ a gallon

cheapo sandblasters are $15+tax at princess auto

This shit will work, but it’s hardcore, dude. You don’t really have any place to safely use it…

i threw on a mask and did it in my driveway…lol…all the rust just kinda fell off in a liquid form and stained my driveway

ever heard of a wire wheel?

cheap sandblaster owns if u have a air compressor

that’s a cool idea…

but what about small items like a bolt or screw?

I was thinking about vinegar, but I knew it would be too weak.

There has gotta be some mild agent I can soak this fucker in for a few hours and it’ll be good.

I like the sandblaster idea, however I need a compressor before I can think about that, unfortunately.

CLR? Or like face said, just take a wire brush or wire wheel to it…

Muriatic Acid is way too strong for your application IMO, and you won’t really have any use for the rest of the jug.

uhhh its used for unclogging drains, so remove the rust with it and then use it in your sink, tub, and toilets , ull be all gravy, no drinage constipation or rust

if you hadnt got one already I’d suggest picking one up from the states, I replaced mine with one from cali absolutly mint for like $50 shipped. but since you have one, just wire wheel the rust off, and rust paint it. done.

sulphuric acid works. nothing beats it!

Sorry, the only muriatic acid I’ve ever dealt with was some industrial stuff my dad had at his shop. It ate ceramic, metal, concrete… fucked up shit. It smoked just sitting in a ceramic cup.

That sounds about right. That crap is strong stuff but it can be cut with water. use very little acid and lots of water.

the only problem it that if you put that sending unit in and kind of acostic dip you are going to strip that pretty coating off of the rest of the unit. Every thing that fits inside the tank has a zink/cadium coating on it and it is not hard to strip off.

Once that coating is gone you can just sit there and watch the metal rust.

Also you really have to rins the parts after you use something like muriatic acid because if you don’t it will just keep on desolving what ever it is on.