attn: highschool/college wrestlers

hey guys.

my base sucks, and my motor skills on the mat suck also. not only that but sometimes i’m having problems keeping all my weight on my opponent. whats worse is that i usually can only get to class 2x a week.

im trying to work on solo drills at home/gym to help improve those things, and i was wondering if anyone who had any experience could share some helpful tips or drills.

ive looked some things up online, with moderate success.

does anyone have any experience with basketball drills?
-adam

u’ve reached a new low to pick up guys…

im soooo confused with this post… i wrestled in hs… i dont know what your asking though? toe pressure puts weight on opponent, PLYOMETRICS build explosiveness from your base… you know how in practice you’d do 1000000 sprawls and 10000 standups… its all for a reason, stuff should become natural, and you will become quicker at it with repetition

i loled at that haha

^^^word
x2
Actually this was for Willybean’s first post but, I guess it works for both…lol

ok i guess i should elaborate

1.) shutup vile ( Kip ), quit trolling the forums or ill take all your money and babes

2.) i don’t wrestle, but do brazilian jiu jitsu / submission wrestling… but the concepts are the same in regards to mat skills.

you know how you have to have a stable / well balanced base? well mine sucks and i can get toppled pretty easily, and it’s only from inexperience ( i’ve only been doing it 4 months ). there are a lot of partner drills that will help you get more comfortable on the mat, but i can only get to class like 2x a week, and i want to improve, so i want to do drills at home and at the gym- things like sitouts etc that can help my mat motor skills / balance / base / hip movement etc

ive read about basketball drills that help make sure you are applying the optimum amount of pressure- like laying with only your feet touching the ground and a basketball under your chest… then doing specific movements etc.

does that help clarify / make sense?

sit-outs, reversals, stand ups, sprawls will all help… toe pressure is key to making you feel heavier… aka get off your knees… (undertones thread disclaimer), chest to chest without letting any other part of your body touch the ground minus the balls of your feet… as for a base, i thought that base was only a wrestling starting position? hand control is key when doing a sit out your elbows should be jammed against your ribs to prevent the opponent from gaining body/wrist control… in fact you should maintain wrist control and as you stand up straighten your arms to break free… atleast thats the idea for wrestling, i never did any other martial arts other than boxing… balance is something that comes with practice, i dont know what to tell you there

Punch em in the throat and call it a day?

Refer to NSFW fighting threads

:word: You have to really work on maintaining your center of gravity. Definatly practice sprawling! Hit the giund, and get right back up as fast as you can. Squat thrusts will aslo help develope the muscle you need. If I were you I would ask the sensai (sp) for advice. Other than that just do alot of pushups, jogging, lunges, stuff like that. It will build your endurance and help with your ballance.

:word:

im okay on strength and endurance, i guess i just need balance and posture the most. my flexibility isn’t the greatest either. its about motor skills on the mat, my body is just not comfortable with the motions of moving on the mat- those are the kind of drills im looking for- things to help me get comfortable.

the guy that teaches the class ( its not like karate or other ninja styles, its just submission wrestling / brazilian jiu jitsu ) told me a bunch of drills, and i do them, but they are mainly focused on escaping and other shit. most guys have a wrestling background and are comfortable on their hands and knees already- i dont… played baseball and basketball throughout highschool

Sureshot, where are you practicing your BJJ at? UB? Practice, practice a lot of this stuff is just learned through repetition and on the mat. I’m no expert, but that’s the only way to get better at these things.

Nah, I did BJJ at www.wnymma.com in Lockport, but when their brown belt left to teach at a new place on transit in elma ( right by hybrid ) I followed him and went there. I’m always looking for people to roll with… when i have the time :\

I would love if a group started up at UB though, that’d be awesome

Sureshot,
UB has a wrestling club, I’m not sure what time they meet, it used to be around 7pm or so. During that club there was always a few guys that were heavy into submission/BJJ along with MMA. It’s been a couple of years, but I bet some of these guys are still rolling down there. It was free experience and training so I went as much as possible.

i did not know that… its been a while since i wrestled… more info?

no shit? that’s awesome. i’ll check it out next time i’m at alumni… i’d love to get some free training in. thanks for the heads up :tup:

I don’t know the guys name, but they always send out a mass email with tournaments and when practice is being held. Here’s his email [email=“mjberes@buffalo.edu”]mjberes@buffalo.edu. Again, it’s been almost 2 years so I’m not sure what’s all changed.

Yeah I wrestled with Choda in Akron for 2 years. I have excellent ballance and I am awsome at escaping because I am super felxible and I have very strong legs from landscaping, but my endurance at that time just wasnt there, so I sucked lol. I would get winded then I was dead in the water so to speak. I use to study Ishen Ryu when I was younger which is a Japanese system of martial arts. That really helped my ballance and speed. Do alot of like lunge excersizes. That will help you with keeping your center of gravity low and having the power to come up quickly and cross leg sudeways running. That will help with your foot work.

Willybean’s basically got it covered. Now I’m confused as fuck by your posts so I’ll try to answer your question and if I’m not on the same page as you lemme know. Obviously the easiest move to get off your base would be the stand up, that’s all about timing and beating your opponent to make the first move. If he keeps trying to pick your ankle from on top, then stand ups aren’t going to work well. A sit out turn in (that’s what we called them) was my favorite move from bottom position and would be what I would do if they keep picking the ankle. Then you can get into switches, Clemson rolls, and all sorts of other crazy shit, but that’s more advanced and not needed right now. As for improving your base, and not getting broken down so easily (I had the same exact problem for a while) you need to get on your toes and keep a post (a leg, arm, something to keep from being turned over) out there. Get control of one of his wrists, that’s soooo important. There’s a start, let me know what else ya need help with.

learn sit outs both directions and standups both ways too… your not wrestling so most likely you wont ever have to worry about him “switch hitting” so to speak… but ambidexterity will help…

btw… as stated above… wrist control is HUGE…

google plyometrics for good explosion power type exercises

Hey guys, I really appreciate the replies.

I guess there just needs to be some overall clarity, and I suspect I just absolutely suck at describing. Fortunately I think 130 knows what I’m talking about… additionally I think a lot of the terminology is causing confusion and may mean different things.

in BJJ/Submission Wrestling, when I say “I need a good base” that means that I need to work on my mat balance, so I can’t be so easily flipped over, rolled over “Swept.” If I have someone in a dominating position, like the “mount” I should be able to apply a lot of submissions since it’s a very advantageous place to be. But with a poor base I can be toppled, my legs can get pushed out- essentially my opponent can escape the position.

By posture, I mean having the ability to keep my back straight, even when someone has underhooks/overhooks. If someone has broken my posture, my back isn’t straight and I’m curled up, and in a much less advantageous position since I can easily be toppled, swept or submitted.

I just know that wrestling and BJJ share a lot of the same principles and was hoping to get some help, hah.

This guy is the ultimate in submission wrestling / BJJ , and maybe it’ll help you understand what I mean and participate in ( being on your back isnt terrible )
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9172309068519365318&q=jacare&hl=en

thanks again

-adam