BOV Illegal?

Ya so, kinda a no0b question, but I have searched everywhere and havnt found any Ontario laws on this, only what people “think” the law is. Im trying to get some highway traffic act papers in order to put in my glove box to show cops that certain parts of my car are legal and shit. I was wondering if anyone knows if a BOV that sprays into the atmosphere is illegal or not? Some say it is some say it isn’t, but I would like to know if anyone has evidence or personal experience with this. I searched through the traffic act and couldnt find anything on it:

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK110

Weather it is or isnt legal isnt going to make a difference to me, but I if it is legal I would like to print off the papers.

Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks.

venting the BOV to atmoshere IS ILLEGAL. Its a Emissions thing… lol. You will never get bugged about it from cops Or even MTO but it is Illegal. Ive gone by MTO guys all the time and gave them the greddy type S in there ear In my eclipse and they never did a thing…

But If they or the cops want to be a dick And if they even know what it is and How to inforce it, they can.

It’s just air though. What does it have to do with emissions?

the laws for emissions equipment are in the EPA, not the HTA

it’s kind of a grey area. is the bov part of the emission control system? in a way, yes.

crankcase vapors (and oil blowby) pass through charge piping as part of the PCV system (assuming that it’s hooked up properly… which it usually isnt, going by the swapped or custom turbo cars ive seen, in which case a bov open to atmo is the least of your worries)

so when the bov vents to atmo, it’s releasing some of those vapors
you could argue it’s not strictly an emissions control device… but factory cars use recirc valves for a reason

in any case, the law reads like this:

Section 7 of EPA Regulation 361/98

(1) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a system or device to prevent or lessen the emission of any contaminant, the following standards are prescribed as additional maximum emission standards for the vehicle:

1. The system or device, or any replacement therefor, must be maintained or kept in such a state of repair that it is capable of performing the function for which it was intended.

2. The system or device, or any replacement therefor, must be kept installed on, attached to or incorporated in the motor or motor vehicle in such a manner that, when the motor or motor vehicle is operating, the system or device functions in the manner in which it was intended to function.

(2) Every motor vehicle for which emission standards are prescribed in this section shall comply with those standards. O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

(3) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor vehicle that does not comply with subsection (2). O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

air escaping after the MAF = rich out the tail pipe.

BOVs + MAF = rice

hmmmm. Doesnt seem like theres any hard evidence on this one. Im not going to worry too much about it then.

and simplemind7 I have no idea what your talking about when you say BOV + MAF = rice

well when you run rich you don’t make as much power so it bogs for a split second as soon as you get into the next gear, but you get that sweet noise that all the kiddies love.

I’ll ask the question that sparked a lot last time this thread appeared, what about trucks, tractors and all that? They have venting BOV’s howcome those are not illegal.

yea pureevo, as far as like a noise violation, I dont think you would ever have an issue with it. You could just say look at trucks air brakes. I mean from an emmisions perspective, not a noise perspective.

huh? i thought those were their air brakes? (big rigs)

yeah, BOVs with a diesel!

pretty sure he means air brakes.

jake brake… and it’s in a closed loop…

their brakes need blow off valves because it runs around 30 psi.

Trucks Definitly DONT have BOVs. LMAO… Diesels DOnt even have VACUME to run a bov… They dont have a throttle body. My buddie Once asked me to put a BOV on his TDI VW and I was like dude… it impossible… They dont have vacume to open the bov up.

AND a ENGINE BRAKE or JAKE or EXHAUST RESTRICTOR… IS NOTHING to do with turbo or incomming air… on a restrictor… it just restricts the exhaust gasses from leaving the engine.

a jake is a lil more complicated as it actually changes the valve timing to hardly even open the exaust valves. So this creates a huge restriction on the engine THUS slowing the truck down with out applying the brakes.

Jakes are just soo much fun down shifting and using the jake with open mufflers through residential areas… OO I love it…

I used to drive truck all the time. now i do it on a part time thing. so I know about these things.

AND TRUCKS DONT have bovs on there brakes… the air brake system on a truck runs about 130 psi… The operating limit on turcks is like 70 psi… any thing below that the emergency/ parking brake starts engaging so the brakes will be draging…

ALSO as for emmisions. the truck air brake system has nothing to do with the engine. the truck has a air compressor on board. so that air escaping does not have any carbon/oil or any other contaminates from the engine.

Unlike venting to atmosphere on a turbocharged gas engine.

to put it simple the law says there can only be 2 routes between the combustion chamber and the outside atmosphere, and thats the intake(Air Filter) and exhaust muffler…
and no it is not an emission thing

run a catch can and then its hot air blowin out haha

wrong

VW JETTA TDI’s run an open wastegate off thier turbo’s ($1400 to fix if it breaks …) no BOV just Dumped pressure

the jake comment was put up as a possible reason for what he heard… thanks though for trying to teach your grandma how to suck eggs… :rolleyes:

woah spd dmn we all know ur a smart guy i guess but i guess no sense of humour