emission testing stuff

Does anyone know,

where can I have my car run as a hot rod and what is required?

I swapped to DOHC this year as some know and its from an s14. I didn’t go through all the BS trouble of hooking the EGR up because of a number of reasons. I have a brand spanking new 3-inch Vibrant cat, and I want to make damn sure the stupid car passes. I’ve had too much trouble over the last 5 years with trying to pass these cars legit, even with all the emissions connected.

Thanks,
Andrew.

might have to prove somehow that that engine is from a different model year car…

maybe a statement from a nissan dealer or something? or have it etested AT a nissan dealer where they are more likely to realize the engine is from a diff year

i paid a guy 100$ done and he passed it with flying colors.

gah i dunno, I’m stressing out. Every time I try to pass emissions, even with all the emissions systems, I have gone through nightmares with these cars.

Andrew.

the MTO has to decree that the car is a hot rod and then has to be registered as such.
so your screwed there too andrew

thats not true at all

How does one get a car declared as a ‘hot rod’ and what does that mean; meaning, what does it mean when a car is a ‘hot rod car’. Does it have higher/lower insurance, certain rules that apply or certain rules its exempt from. Please give me some details and info. I have no idea.

Environmental Protection Act
Ontario Regulation 361/98

“hot rod” means a motor vehicle in which the original motor has been replaced with a motor of a type not installed by the manufacturer on that model of motor vehicle for the model year designated for the motor vehicle by the manufacturer;

I understand that, but how about insurance and vehicle limitations/exemptions/etc… I remember when I wanted to build a lotus 7 replica, the car could be made street legal (as long as it met certain road safety and regulation demands) however when it came to insurance, i recall there was specialty insurance companies… and if i recall correctly they were CHAEP… and i was like WOAH, but htey put certain restrictions on the vehicle or something like that… im not sure… i never did it so i didnt have direct experience only hearsay.

you dont need the MTO to do anything, just tell them to test it as a hotrod and they will

thats what dustin did… I think? :smiley:

Can you get more info from Dustin, and where he had it done.

Andrew.

okay, but what about insurance? Since say your insurance says 4 cyl and you have uhm lol literally double that under there :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey Andrew, I’m in the same boat as you with my SR. Me and Mike tried to get it e-tested at canadian tire and when we told them that it needs to be tested as a hot rod, the service manager was just like. “Okay, we need documentation”.

Pretty much, he said that they cannot visually inspect the motor in order to test it as a hot rod, all he wants is documentation. It doesn’t even matter if the mechanics know that its not the stock engine.

We told him that we swapped in the engine ourselves so what exactly would we need… but he was pretty much just being a dick about it.

Anyways, we ended up going to Nissan. We talked to the service manager at nissan and he agreed to come take a look at my car. He was like “Oh okay, I’ll write something for you for tomorrow”

So what does this mean? If your stock Ka can’t pass, go pay someone to write a receipt or something to say that your ka motor has been swapped out with a different type of motor, and there you go, you can test it as a hot rod.

I should have my car e-tested by tomorrow, i’ll let you know how it goes. =)

fake e-test.

done and done

lol

Cool, let me know how it goes dude. Thanks for info!

Andrew.

I failed. :frowning: Twice!

andrew, hit me up on msn

How did it compair the second time with the cat??

It should have helped

Canadian Tire wouldn’t want to be held liable for anything. If they get caught passing people under this “modified” class, and it can be proven otherwise, their ability to perform further tests is in jeopardy. And trust me, for a place like Canadian Tire, that’s essential.
They don’t make a killing off the tests - Gov’t set at $35. However, they’ll love to rape you for expensive repairs.

“Your car failed because of the catalytic converter and oxygen sensor. Luckily, we have both in-stock at $279 and $119 respectively. Shall we go ahead and install?”

I work for one of their “underling” companies - PartSource.

I plan on dropping a KA24DE into the 90’ Rusto project just to putt around this summer. I’m simply going to make a statement to the shop I’m bringing it to. Factory details specify SOHC and 12 valves. If they’d like to remove the valve cover and confirm that there are, in fact, 16valves a hoppin’ around with these two long chunks of metal called, “Camshafts”, turning them. That wasn’t a factory option in my model year and is will be considered a, “hot-rod” or “modified” for emission testing.

I then talked to my insurance - as long as I’m not going to “tub” the car, drag slicks, nitrous, etc, they don’t care. I even said, “Well, what if a turbo made it’s way on to the car. Just something small to help with passing power.”
She said, they wouldn’t need to classify it as modified as long as it wasn’t obviously built for drag racing. I plan on getting her to sign something on that.

Well I finally passed! I borrowed a cat from benson and this is what my exhaust looked like when it was installed.

http://jammin.jshost.ca/mark/The%20Swap/Etest.jpg