HotRod E-test?

Alight soo
I will soon complete my 1UZ (lexus v8) swap into my 89 coupe. I will need to get the hotrod E-test done. Im looking for some solid info on how to get the test done. I have been told I just need to get lucky and find a shop that will just switch the test into hotrod mode and thats it. I have also been told I need to call the drive clean center and tell them about my swap and then they send you some papers to fill out… Have any of you done the HR test? It would be great if some of you could share some info regarding the hotrod Etest.

Thanks,
Jake

i just went to the canadian tire on major mac and 404 and the guy was like yea…thats an sr we will test it as a hotrod

sweet. I hope its actually that simple. I will try my local crappytire first

probably wont be

I just recently passed emissions on regular standards with flying colours. I have an sr20det with 260 cams.

yea thats what i was planning on doing…but he is running a v8 instead of a 4 banger…

My buddy just passed on normal standards with an rb25 and an aftermarket cat. Might as well try it, and at the worst you are out 30 bucks.

Yeah the new standards for under '96 are stupid easy to pass.

Started my car after sitting for the winter, ran the fuck outta the engine, passed e-test same day.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you guys make me happy hearing this, just dumped another 5 gs into my sr 95 s14 with mad worries that i will loose my car next year when test time comes around, now i can breath easy

i just passed with an rb20 with the ka limits. To get the hotrod status, you have to call the ministry and let them know what you did, fill out some papers,and then they add the vin to a database before you can etest. If the v8 is stock, i would just test it the way it is.

jesus ppl… i swear this has been covered a million times! search.

It changed in 2013 though. It’s not up to the individual tester anymore you need to apply for hot rod status though the ministry, alot of pictures and receipts. Application is difficult because you need proof of the motor swap and it needs to have been done before 98 to mater. Any motor swap done after 98 means your tested under your normal cars year. As others have said though it’s not hard to pass with the limits, all cars below 98 just do a 2 stage idle.

this

i see it has changed… 2 seconds of reading & searching though…

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment/en/category/drive_clean/STDPROD_098041.html

doesnt say you need to apply to anything. just that you need proof to the drive clean centre.

The onus is on the hot rod owner to prove when the motor was replaced… An original receipt for the installation/purchase of the replacement motor is an example of proof.

Make a fake receipt and go nuts.

Ive herd also just go to a nissan dealership and get them to inspect the vehical and verify it isnt the stock engine. Then have them write up a letter head stating that it isnt the stock engine.

You can try whatever you want a fake receipt or a letter from the dealership but i know 100% you have to apply through the ministry. I just went through all this a month ago, and I know it doesn’t say anything about it on the net but at the center we spent time on the phone with driveclean. Everything is electronicly controlled and follows the vin of the car. The inspector does not have the ability (as of jan 2013) to change the motor on the tester. Once you apply, and are accepted, the hot rod status is applied to the VIN and then follows the car. When the inspector types in your vin # the motor field pops up as hot rod. This is the field they use to have the ability to change at their own judgement.

You are correct. I just got back from a place called Oil Changers near dundas and mavis and they told me the same thing. They told me I need to call up the ministry and let them know about the swap then fill out some papers to be able to take the hotrod test

Is there even a point to get the hot rod text for sr20s? If people are passing with the normal standerds for older cars and with mild mods as well

There is a point to it all, it’s to take advantage of the higher limits to better ensure your chances of passing the etest.

The know-how and experience in dealing with the hot rod etests is honestly up to each individual shop, some don’t know much about it, some do.

I showed a letter from the shop that swapped my motor in, they typed it out stating it’s a different motor for the make and model and went to a knowledgeable local shop here in Maple Ontario.

Voila!