Hot Rod E-test Experience

I’m wondering if anyone has actually run their car as a hot rod. I failed my e-test, I passed everything by less than 5% of the limit, but the fuckin Nox were double the limit. I called Drive Clean and they said that a Hot Rod is tested under 1980 car limits. They also have a chart on their website for the limits for the different categorites. http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/air/driveclean/support.php , Download the Drive Clean Guide 2003 pdf. But it puts up the limits for Nox from 485 to 3215 lol

So for those of you that have tested as a hot rod…

Which dealership did you take it to get the paper that the engine was infact not offered in Canada?

Did it alter your insurance?

Thanks!

An etest would never alter your insurance.

I assume that you are running a sr20, I have never done my 240 but have etested various integras under hot rod emission test. always passed with flying colours. I have tested integras with b20 motors and b16 motors. What I did is just took it to canadian tire and tell them that it needs to be tested as a hot rod. That the motor was not offered in the car in north america. and tell them the size of the motor. I did not have to get any papers or letters from the manufacture. Just be polite about it.

For example when I take a integra in it says that it should be 1.8 liters on theit system. I would just tell them that it has a 1.6 liter motor for b16 or 2.0 for b20 motors.

However the last time I have done this was a few years back so I am not sure if it is still as easy. When I was doing this I did go to various etest places and asked and some had no idea how to do it. Canadian tire was the only one that knew.

I also printed out the info from the drive clean website to prove that my car fell within the years and requirements for hot rod status.

Ya I don’t think so either. But people have said it a couple times and since my insurance company thinks my car is stock I would rather them not know. When I pay $200/month for two cars I don’t want them to cancel me.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Ya its an SR, and thats ^^ a good idea.

Ya Drive Clean said it was up to the tester to decide if he wants to do it with or without the paper from the dealership.

Just go to various drive clean facilities until you find one that will do it with out papers. I would think it would be a headache to get proper papers from the dealer, not to mention I am sure there are costs for them to look at it and document it. Plus if you have it documented at a dealer not sure if this will cause a issue with your insurance.

The guys at 401 and Dixie service should be able to write you up a letter saying the motor you have in your car is NOT stock and was NOT offered in North America and is a different DISPLACEMENT to what you originally had.

k i have a question some one please let me know this as i am getting a s14sr20swap done and before i do i need to know if it will pass an e test with out a hod rod type but the swap would be stock with a cat just a few mild up grades like cat back and maybe a s15 or a gt2871r turbo with 550cc injectors and an apexi power fc. if it will not pass the etest even if it’s completely bone stock then i will not be getting this swap done and will be selling my s14.

^Post needs moar antecedents! Are you talking about a bone stock SR, or a bone stock S14 with a KA? Bone stock SR’s have passed with some work here. If you don’t want the headaches, quit now while you are ahead.

1. Test with the KA

or

1. Refer to the bajillion e-test tricks and test the SR bone stock

or

1. Do your mild tune and hand the guy $200 cash, because that SR isn’t gonna give you a squeaky clean e-test with 550cc injectors because nearly everyone tunes rich enough that your own nose will give back a fail reading.

2. Hot rod e-test

3. Sell your S14

you can’t build these Cara up and expect clean emissions. Power isn’t free, and exhaust gases are a by-product of it.

so how dose everybody on this forum with a sr20 swap s13 or s14 with light to mild mods pass e tests? do they just rum the test wile the ka is in it then put the sr20 into it, mod it up, enjoy it and then sell it when it’s time to do an e test?

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

is it possible and if so is it easy to have a 300-350 whp sr20 240sx and be able to pass the etest hod rod or non hot rod, and if the only way is through a hod rod etest are you allowed to do it like that again every two years, this is all i want to know cause if all i am going to have is major problems and will have to take off all mods to go to stock just to pass every time i need to etest then i don’t think it will be worth it.

I did a Hot Rod status e-test for my Probe GT (lol i know.) when I thought it was super awesome and did a straight neck KLZE swap. I went to Weiland Ford, talked to service manager - he wrote me on Ford letterhead saying

1995 Ford Probe GT vin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, comes with only 2.5L KL-DE motor with codes KL-101 on block, KL-31 on cams, curved top pistons.

I, ______ (managers name) vouches for ______ (your name) that they have put a Mazda straight neck 2.5L KLZE motor, code KL 101 on block, KL 31 1A1 on intake cams, KL31 101 on exhaust cams, mazda valvecover, motor vin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. This motor did NOT come on this year of Probe GT from factory, nor did it ever come factory on any Ford Probe GT.

Sincerely
blah blah.

Took it to the drive clean test behind NAPA at courtland & highway 86 (I was told its worked here before), he looked at it, photocopied it and I drove away a few min later etested.

Basically know your shit when you go into dealership, be respectful and they’ll write something up. If they say you have to pay $60 for the paper tell them to shove it, it should be no charge.

it was easy testing my s14 sr20, passed twice no no issues. Took it no nissan, got it tested, it was really simple considering it was done at a dealership. Standard bolt ons, few extras ill see if i can find the sheet and scan it in.

I went to Oakville Nissan he looked at me like I was an idiot and trying to do some illegal shit. Went to Burlington Nissan and they wrote the letter up. So I’m all set!! Booked the re-test for tomorrow.

240sx_nismo - Dont you see its better to have an engine swap then a factory motor, you can do all kinds of shit to it and it will still pass with flying colours.

let us know how it goes, i’m due for an e-test this year as well

i just hope they don’t change the law for all of this, they keep talking about climate change and all that shit like the cars are the problem it’s all bull shit to get older cars off the road and newer cars on.

In the book for emissions if the displacement or # of cylinders differ from stock it can be classified under hot rod.

Ive said that at CT and green + ross and it worked just fine.

The day that happens is the day I get a straight pipe, a Bee-R Rev Limiter, and a tune so rich, everything in a 50 ft radius will choke to death, as I kybash the next Green Peace rally and set some hippies hair on fire with my exhaust, and preferably melt a few plastic Prius’ along the way.

Cars are just an easier scape goat to use than big industry. You see, cars aren’t going anywhere, but big industry…they’ll go to Malaysia, China, Indonesia, India…they will go to some country where the government hardly gives a fuck about environmental policy, employee rights, etc. And what does that mean? A lower operating cost because they can just dump shit wherever the fuck they want, like the filthier-than-a-toilet Indian Ocean. And we can’t have more jobs lost and less GDP, and less tax revenue period. Additionally, people like to “see” results, so it’s just damn easier to use cars as the scape goat, when it’s much more. Cars are pretty fucking clean these days, even our pig rich mofo’s are cleaner than a lot of older cars.

Honestly I don’t think they will change it. I’m sure cars that have already had a Hot Rod E-test will be grand fathered in if they do change it. Also I would think that it would be something they would set a date for the change. But since the rule is not advertised so blatantly on the web site and not to many people know about it, I don’t think the tree huggers have any plans.

You should be able to pass wit an sr20det stock or not, I passed with a stock sr20det only nox was close to failing. There are plenty threads on this check the other threads for more info…

I went for the re-test and passed with flying colours lol

Thanks for everyones input!

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Whatever, doesnt matter anymore I passed :biggrin:.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

insurance will never know about your e test results nor can they ask.

Etest is simply a government thing, that is it.

Anyone that says that your insurance can increase if you do hot rod test, doesn’t know what their talking about.

As for the hot rod test it self, you will pass easily on a good working order SR, even with insane mods.