The New Hot Rod E-test Application! Info Inside..

Just thought you guys would like to know the new Hot Rod E-test laws, I just got my s13 done and it was pretty simple. You can apply if your 240 has a swapped in engine that is not available in north America as a option such as the SR, RB, CA, etc. Plus the car has to be 1999 or older.

He’re are the steps to have it done:

First you have to call drive clean Ontario for the Application, before the new laws all you had to do was to get a signed letter from a mechanic saying it was not the original engine, you cannot do this anymore.

Second, you need pictures of invoices for the labour of install or part receipts, I didn’t have any cause I installed the engine myself but I gave them the invoice from Japan Power where I bought my SR.

Third, you need to take a picture of the replacement engine in the engine bay.

Fourth, you need to take a picture further back to include the front view of the car.

Fifth, take a picture of the rear of the car with the plate in clear sight

Sixth, take a picture of your VIN, and door plate

I went the extra mile and took a picture of a data plate near the windshield wiper motor that shows the original engine code which in my case was the KA24E.

Oone week later I was approved, it was super easy to get it and I hope this helps anyone who is thinking about getting their own car done. The number to call for the application is 1 (888) 758-2999 the application will have the email address to email your photos.

cheers.

So did they send you some paperwork that you have to present when getting your car tested,or is it entered directly into their data base when your vin is entered?

Don’t suppose you asked what your to do if you dont have a receipt for your engine or swap?

It’s in the database as a hotrod, no paper work needed when going in for a test. Forgot to mention the hot rod etest standards are compared to 1980 which are super high lol it’s very hard to fail!

• Updated - - -

If you have a friend who owns a shop I don’t see why you can’t make a invoice or if you buy a used SR of a buddy or son member request for them to make a invoice and sign it.

Ya,true enough,thanks

i here everyones passing with the standers test

^ yeah, this is good information to know but you most likely don’t need to go through the process for an SR. The standards are more relaxed for older cars with the new laws, still good to know in case you fail.

do you need to mail everything back with the filled out form and hard copy photos? or this is all thru email?

I’m running a KaT so this doesn’t apply to me, but i’ve always wondered does your car being listed as a “hot rod” effect your insurance?

After my call they emailed me a application, I filled it out and I took a photo of it with my IPhone and sent it with the rest of the pics all through email no hard copies.

• Updated - - -

Buddies that have their car registered did not see a rise in rates so I guess not

• Updated - - -

It helps guys who have 1998 koukis with swaps so they don’t have to do the OBD2 test!

what about v8s? would it make a difference? cause I’d imagine the levels would be way way different

the Carbon levels for 1980 are through the roof, for carb’d engines, i’m sure you would be fine with a cat.

good to know. Thanks for info.

np! maybe a topic that should be stickey’d?

I failed the hot rod test about 2 months ago, no cat rb25 straight pipe

there’s why. no cat you will fail, just buy a cheap cat back get a new regular cat not high flow and you should be fine.

ye thats what im planning on doing next year

then you deffenitly need a tune man lol the limits are through the roof!!

Bumping cause of recent request.

If I dropped a 2.5l NA motor into a a car that only came with a 2.3l NA motor, 2006 mazda 3, does that qualify me to be tested with hot rod e-test. Engine out of a 2010 ford fusion. They are duratec 4 cylinder series engine, technically same family, but it’s 2nd gen, has more displacement, different head, internals, etc… with headers and catalytic in back but not on header… or does engine light still says no no.