Business review: HMS Motorsport

JVG, White Jim, and I went to Boston today to try on helmets at HMS Motorsport. When I walked in, I was quickly greeted by someone with what sounded like a slight French accent, named Miguel. I told him I called earlier and wanted to try on some helmets. He quickly agreed that it’s the best thing to do to make sure that I get a helmet that 1. Will protect me the best and 2. Make sure I don’t get a headache from having one that’s too tight or not enough padding in the right areas. I already had a helmet in mind, but tried on almost everything there. They had the entire range of Arai, Bell, and HJC helmets, along with G-Force and Impact. I like higher quality ($$) stuff so I tried on the Arai, Bell, and also HJC. First was a large Arai GP5W. The W has the wider eyeport, which is better for closed cockpit cars. The large was a bit tight, and I know if I had it on longer than 20min, I’d be popping Excedrin left and right. So then I tried on a Bell and HJC. The Bell would not work right on my head. The padding felt like it was too stiff for me, and almost felt like it wanted to come off of my head. The HJC fit ok, but I felt it lacked in top padding. So then I tried on an XL Arai GP5K. The K is the narrow eye port version of the GP5. This helmet fit PERFECT. Padding was in the perfect spots, the helmet just felt great to have on, and it wasn’t too tight. The problem was the 5K is better for open cockpit cars. So I ordered a GP5W in XL. The shipping was free, and for tax purposes they were going to enter my card number in their online store because it’s being shipped to my house. Along with the helmet, they gave me a bunch of stickers, a calender, and some other brochures (sp?). I also got a RacerX balaclava. Their prices are right on par with what you’d find online, and their service was excellent. I recommend everyone go there before they buy any seats or helmets. They have a huge seat selection and all are available to sit in.

A+ 10/10 to HMS Motorsport.

I want pics of the helmet

http://www.saferacer.com/arai-gp5-w-helmet.html?productid=488

In white. Should be here next week. They were out of stock.

Thats some serious coin! Well worth it i suppose.

Can’t put a price on your head!

Good call… Very good choice on a helmet

Was I right or was I right, eh?

HMS rules.

You were right. And HMS rules.

Jesse = go-to guy for advice on gear/track.

damn, you drove to Boston for a helmet… i’ve had all kinds of helmets…i think the Arai’s fit the best!!!

Yea, closest place w/ Arai’s. It fits amazing. This is also my first auto helmet. I’ve had a couple dirt bike/motorcycle helmets, but fitment is a little different, and so are the manufacturers so I wanted to be sure with such an investment.

my fats as fit into like 3 of all the seats they had there. They have light a theater styilng seats more then i have on display. lol

i’d agree with that. i know a couple of ppl that crashed riding bikes and said it was worth buyin the expensive one, cuz otherwise theyd be dead or a vegetable. Chris, what made you pick this one?

did you read the first post?

I belive if you read his story up top that has a good reason as to why he picked the helmet :retardclap

:facepalm

Jesse, Have you heard anything about Cobra seats? I was looking on their website and I have never heard of cobra before.

It will be more for street use not a dedicated track car like yours…

Great seats. Higher quality than Sparco/most Recaros for the same price. Shoulder belt holes high enough where they wont kill you like Sparco/most Recaros.

What I was hopeing to hear… I was suprised, they seemed quite a bit down in price compared to a few others like recaro etc… I may have to go to boston just to sit in them to make sure my fat ass fits :open_mouth:

Cossey, if you ever take another trip there let me know!

I’ve only sat in their race seats but the GT versions of the seats are a little wider and would fit a huskier gentleman quite nicely, if that’s your concern. :smiley:

Yes, unlike you I am fat… do not say husky… I am fluffy! :rofl