Buying into the save money hype. v.hybrids

Very interesting article on CNN.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/autos/0711/gallery.hybrids_that_pay//index.html

So the BEST hybrid is going to take you 4.2 years to pay back it’s gas savings, and that’s not factoring in depreciation. As the article stated, most experts expect hybrids to depreciate faster. Factor in depreciation and the hybrid looks even worse.

It could be worse, you could have bought a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. You’ll only need to keep it 23 years to save enough in gas money to pay for the upgrade from a regular Highlander to a hybrid Highlander.

Or the king of bad money saving investments, the Lexus LS600h L. Only 3771 YEARS to pay back the hybrid upcharge on that one. Not really fair there since Lexus is marketing that as the top-o-the-line version so it’s a considerable cost upgrade.

Hahahahahahaha

Bunch of douchenozzles

thanks for making my day

<3

but how do you take into account the social status upgrade?

I want the lexus though… the only reason its a “hybrid” is to jusfity the big batteries to give it the ability to run the AC during hot days when its in the lot

it has to start somewhere… the technology will become cheaper… more efficient. reliable…

prices will drop… more people will buy… this stuff takes time…

but yea… im not buying one anytime soon

Agreed. I didn’t say I hate hybrids. I hate the people who I constantly hear talking about how they have one/are going to get one and save so much money in gas because the cost savings are mostly BS in the real world.

Ill never own something good on gas! Ill also never put anything less then 93 in any vehicle I own. Gas prices and Mpg do not bother me 1 bit. The heck with these overpriced hybirds. My next new auto after the challenger will be an h2.

^ Do all your cars REQUIRE 93? If not, you’re wasting your money and actually making LESS power.

I agree I did a capstone paper on this in 05’.
But,
The Lexus hybrids act as a power adder as well, so it not only more fuel efficient but faster.

Yeah premium gas is for cars that require it, put it in your average vehicle and your really throwing money out the window.

I wont run 87 or 89 shit gas, Ive seen what it does. My 93 buick regal has had 93 since new, 114,000 miles and its still on its origional fuel pump and i never had to tune it up once or clean the throttle body. My friends 98 silverado has run on 87 its whole life already needed the a fuel sys cleaning fuel pump and tuns of other carbon build up related work. My tacoma ran 100 times better after i filled it up with its first tank of 93 from 87 the dealer had in it. My gn is rated at 91 or more, also my g/fs R32 91 or better. I cant run low octane in my nova. Dont belive that aaa bull, 93 is a better fuel.
In fact i dont know anyone now who doesn’t run 93 in there cars.

hey, i got a pill for you

http://www.dylan.org.uk/placebo.gif

:lol:

Nice one Viper.

What is it 3.50 per gallon. Not a big deal. i may consider changing when its at 12.00 per gallon.

Also the Prius compared to the Camry is a horrible comparison.
Maybe the Yaris to the Prius.

In reality 87 is probably better for your cars, unless they require premium. Should be fresh at your local station since most cars run it and it gets replenished more often.

This >>>> Hybrid

says the baller in the 93 regal…

Mobil on Sheridan and Colvin sells allot of 93, so I get mine there, + its individual pumps so your not getting 87 or 89 for your first gallon of fuel. Stay away from delta sonic tops and the Rez for any fuel, high sulfur content, last time I knew someone who got fuel at delta sonic there fuel gauge freaked out until the shit fuel was all gone.